Canned Air for Cleaning??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisMcK, Mar 21, 2003.

1. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this. Does anyone see any issues with using the air in a can that's used for cleaning computers on my speakers and components. I just want to get some dust build up out of some hard to reach places.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Chris,

It's (almost) the same as blowing dust away with your mouth + lungs, but without the chance of spitting on it. Remember however that the dust is moved - not removed.

Be careful, though, not to apply too much pressure from too close, e.g. you may damage a speaker. Apart from that: I see no problems in its use.
    Personally, I like a little vacuum-cleaner better, but it cannot be used in all places (and only with even more care close to a speaker cone!).

Cees

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i do it all the time.

like cees said, the dust is only moved, not removed.

so, what i usually do is find an open spot (my balcony) and then give the component a good shot. i immediately then shoot the air above the component, so that the dust is blown away. that way the dust won't fall back onto the component.

i'm also pretty careful not to give the full force of the shot onto whatever i'm trying to clean. if it's that difficult to remove, i use a little paint brush (or q-tip) first, then hit it again with the compressed air.

boy, it's a good thing i'm not anal...