Candyman: Special Edition - coming soon?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Esten, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

Didn't see anything about this elsewhere on the forum, so....

I was browsing the IMDB, and came across these two entries:

Sweets To The Sweet: The Candyman Mythos

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406247/

Clive Barker: Raising Hell

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405836/

Unless somebody made those entries up(with IMDB, is quite likely), i'd say a Candyman: Special Edition is on it's way.

2. jason:g

jason:g Stunt Coordinator

Sweet!
    But I already own the current standard edition Candyman DVD. And it's perfectly fine and scary, plus comes with fullscreen version.

I wouldn't mind supplementing my DVD with the Sweets To The Sweet documentary DVD...

3. Matt Rexer

Matt Rexer Stunt Coordinator

What would be really cool: an isolated Philip Glass score.

Actually, I hope Clive Barker: Raising Hell is a documentary for a potential Nightbreed: Director's Cut DVD. That might make more sense, too -- he didn't direct Candyman, after all.

Edit: Nah, looks like I'm wrong. Both of those documentaries were produced by the same people, but Nightbreed and Candyman are owned by different companies.

4. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

[​IMG] I love Candyman. If this is for an R1 SE, it's great news and an excellent contrast to the Friday The 13th debacle.

As for the Nightbreed: Director's Cut, I don't think it's happening right now, sadly. From what I've read recently, they haven't even found the excised footage. (Hmmm, maybe they stored it at Paramount!)

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Info here about the Candyman Special Edition. Released August 17.

6. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

It's a definite purchase and nice to finally see it, but the cover art is bloody dreadful!

Also reported on DavisDVD .

7. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

yeesh... what the hell's with that cover art!

9. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

What I want to know is, will it have a NEW AND IMPROVED transfer?

The specs state that it will be 1.85:1 anamorphic. But isn't the current release anamorphic already? If so, they are probably just using the same transfer.

Does anyone know if they'll use a new transfer? I don't care about the extras, just the actual movie.

Since this is a Columbia release, they should make this a Superbit.

Also, as a head's up to anyone out there that cares, on the same day that Columbia releases this Special Edition of Candyman, "Stir Of Echoes" Special Edition will also be released. Though, I don't think that it will be by Columbia since Artisan owns it.

I wonder if that too will have a new transfer.

10. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

What I want to know is, will it have a NEW AND IMPROVED transfer?

The specs state that it will be 1.85:1 anamorphic. But isn't the current release anamorphic already? If so, they are probably just using the same transfer.

Does anyone know if they'll use a new transfer? I don't care about the extras, just the actual movie.

Since this is a Columbia release, they should make this a Superbit.

Also, as a head's up to anyone out there that cares, on the same day that Columbia releases this Special Edition of Candyman, "Stir Of Echoes" Special Edition will also be released. Though, I don't think that it will be by Columbia since Artisan owns it.

I wonder if that too will have a new transfer.

11. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

12. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    I don't believe the current release is anamorphic.

I also don't understand why we can't get a 5.1 soundtrack. Isn't this film new enough (1992?) that it would have been recorded digitally for theater surround?

Ah, well...as long as Tony Todd's voice fills the room, it should be OK.

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    I don't believe the current release is anamorphic.

I also don't understand why we can't get a 5.1 soundtrack. Isn't this film new enough (1992?) that it would have been recorded digitally for theater surround?

Ah, well...as long as Tony Todd's voice fills the room, it should be OK.

15. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    Guys

Here's the Press Release from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment:

The scariest film since 'The Silence of the Lambs'" -Tony Timpone, Fangoria

"An effectively eerie psychological chiller, filled with clever, unusual touches." - Leonard Maltin

Virginia Madsen Stars in the Terrifying Psychological Thriller
    From Famed Horror Master Clive Barker

CANDYMAN SPECIAL EDITION
    Featuring All-New Frightening Bonus Materials Available to Own (If You Dare) on August 17

Culver City, CA (June 14, 2004) - Delve deeper into the haunting world of one of
    modern cinema's most terrifying creations with the release of CANDYMAN SPECIAL
    EDITION. This bone chilling special edition is packed with all new bonus features including
    director's commentary, Clive Barker featurette, and more will debut on DVD August 17, just in
    time for Halloween from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment. CANDYMAN SPECIAL
    EDITION is priced to collect at $19.94 SLP. From the chilling imagination of cult favorite
    writer/producer Clive Barker (Hellraiser), CANDYMAN stars Virginia Madsen (The Hot Spot,
    Brave New Girl) and Tony Todd (Final Destination) in a gruesome modern-day thriller that
    became an instant horror masterpiece.

Synopsis:
    A children's ghost story comes to terrifying life in this gut-wrenching thriller about a
    graduate student whose research into modern folklore summons the spirit of the dead. Helen
    Lyle (Madsen) laughs when she interviews college freshmen about their superstitions. But when
    she hears about the urban legend of Candyman, a slave spirit with a hook hand who is said to
    haunt Chicago's notorious Cabrini-Green housing project, she thinks she has a new twist for her
    thesis. Braving the gang-ridden territory to visit the site of a brutal murder, Helen arrogantly
    assumes Candyman can't really exist - until she says his name in the mirror five times and he
    appears, igniting a string of tragic slayings. But the police don't believe in ghosts, and they
    charge Helen with the grisly crimes. Now only one person can set her free - CANDYMAN!

Co-starring Xander Berkeley (TV's "24"), Kasi Lemmons (The Silence of the Lambs) and
    Vanessa L. Williams (TV's "Soul Food"), CANDYMAN was skillfully directed by Bernard
    Rose (Immortal Beloved).

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
    Filmmaker's Commentary
    Featurette: Clive Barker: Raising Hell
    Featurette: Sweets to the Sweet: The Candyman Mythos
    Bernard Rose Storyboard Comparisons
    Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video
    Remastered in High Definition
    Widescreen Presentation
    Audio: English (Dolby Surround), French, Portuguese
    Subtitles: English, French, Portuguese
    Bonus Trailers
    Scene Selections

Rated R
    Color
    Closed Captioned
    Running Time: 99 Minutes
    DVD Catalog # 03944
    UPC Code: 0-43396-03944-5
    Order Date: 07/15/04
    SLP: $19.94 DVD

Should be a sweet release. Thankfully time moves quickly these days.

Mike

16. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    Guys

Here's the Press Release from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment:

The scariest film since 'The Silence of the Lambs'" -Tony Timpone, Fangoria

"An effectively eerie psychological chiller, filled with clever, unusual touches." - Leonard Maltin

Virginia Madsen Stars in the Terrifying Psychological Thriller
    From Famed Horror Master Clive Barker

CANDYMAN SPECIAL EDITION
    Featuring All-New Frightening Bonus Materials Available to Own (If You Dare) on August 17

Culver City, CA (June 14, 2004) - Delve deeper into the haunting world of one of
    modern cinema's most terrifying creations with the release of CANDYMAN SPECIAL
    EDITION. This bone chilling special edition is packed with all new bonus features including
    director's commentary, Clive Barker featurette, and more will debut on DVD August 17, just in
    time for Halloween from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment. CANDYMAN SPECIAL
    EDITION is priced to collect at $19.94 SLP. From the chilling imagination of cult favorite
    writer/producer Clive Barker (Hellraiser), CANDYMAN stars Virginia Madsen (The Hot Spot,
    Brave New Girl) and Tony Todd (Final Destination) in a gruesome modern-day thriller that
    became an instant horror masterpiece.

Synopsis:
    A children's ghost story comes to terrifying life in this gut-wrenching thriller about a
    graduate student whose research into modern folklore summons the spirit of the dead. Helen
    Lyle (Madsen) laughs when she interviews college freshmen about their superstitions. But when
    she hears about the urban legend of Candyman, a slave spirit with a hook hand who is said to
    haunt Chicago's notorious Cabrini-Green housing project, she thinks she has a new twist for her
    thesis. Braving the gang-ridden territory to visit the site of a brutal murder, Helen arrogantly
    assumes Candyman can't really exist - until she says his name in the mirror five times and he
    appears, igniting a string of tragic slayings. But the police don't believe in ghosts, and they
    charge Helen with the grisly crimes. Now only one person can set her free - CANDYMAN!

Co-starring Xander Berkeley (TV's "24"), Kasi Lemmons (The Silence of the Lambs) and
    Vanessa L. Williams (TV's "Soul Food"), CANDYMAN was skillfully directed by Bernard
    Rose (Immortal Beloved).

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
    Filmmaker's Commentary
    Featurette: Clive Barker: Raising Hell
    Featurette: Sweets to the Sweet: The Candyman Mythos
    Bernard Rose Storyboard Comparisons
    Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video
    Remastered in High Definition
    Widescreen Presentation
    Audio: English (Dolby Surround), French, Portuguese
    Subtitles: English, French, Portuguese
    Bonus Trailers
    Scene Selections

Rated R
    Color
    Closed Captioned
    Running Time: 99 Minutes
    DVD Catalog # 03944
    UPC Code: 0-43396-03944-5
    Order Date: 07/15/04
    SLP: $19.94 DVD

Should be a sweet release. Thankfully time moves quickly these days.

Mike

17. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc
    Collector Alert -

The new "SE" DVD has dropped the film's theatrical trailer which WAS included on the previous release.

18. jason:g

jason:g Stunt Coordinator

Another reason for keeping the original release. [​IMG]

But does the new SE include a new SE trailer?