Cancelling extended car warrantee?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Shelly, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Last week I traded in my 02 Mustang LX for a 2004 Hyundai Sonata. I don't regret it one little bit. The Sonata is more comfortable and is faster and might just even handle better then my Mustang. It is also the first car I have ever owned that has zero defects out of the factory. I usually always find something wrong with my new cars. Anyways that is a different story.

My 02 Mustang I traded had an extended warrantee. I went to my previous dealer so I could cancel the warrantee. They said all they needed was a copy of the odometer statement. After providing this they said I should get my refund in 4 to 6 weeks.

Today I got a letter from the Ford dealer saying they need proof that my previous loan was paid off. I went online and printed statement from my bank showing it was paid off. They called back and said I need a "release of lean" from the bank or a copy of the payoff check.

So I called my bank and they said that the "release of lean" letter would have been mailed to the buying dealer.

So I called the dealer I just bought the new car from and they said that they have not received the letter yet. So I asked if they could provide a copy of the check and they informed me that was not possible. They informed me that I can have a copy of the "release of lean" letter when they get it but that could be a while.

What I would like to know is if this is all even really necessary? I feel like I am getting the run-a-around from the Ford dealer. In the past I have always just walked in and said the car has been traded and I would like to cancel my warrantee. With out any further hassle it was done.

2. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

The status of your Mustang (other than the odometer readout), or the loan on it, should have no bearing on the refund. In fact, even if you had kept the car, but simply decided to cancel the policy, the pro-rated refund should be paid without any hassles.

3. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

4. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Was the warranty cost added to the car loan? If so, I suppose they just want to make sure they're not giving you a refund for something you haven't paid for yet.

5. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Yeah,

The warranty was wrapped in the car loan. So I can see why they might want verification. Never had to do it in the past even when financed though.

First the odometer statement list the buying dealer. In order for the dealer to get the title the loan would have to be paid off. So the odometer statement should provide a pretty big clue.

Second they sold me the car so they can easily research and check with the bank. I assume that has happened in the past.

I think they are just being a high volume low service dealer by not taking the second to confirm my loan was paid off. Instead they make me do all the hard work.