What's new

Cancelled TV Shows DVD Release Dates (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm sorry, but this thread has fulfilled its purpose, IMO.

Positions are clear, it's not really uplifting and/or informative for any other member of this forum to see "more" explanations, clarifications or accusations.

Oh, wait, it's about cancelled TV Shows on DVD....
Please proceed with that specific subject.

Thanks.

Cees

LCD22

Screenwriter
For a minute there, I thought this was an old thread. Ethan, the thread title you had sufficed. This is nice complement to TVShowsOnDVD.com's Release Schedule. If certain members have issue with "classic" (however loosely you put it - I took it both ways, covering both modern and vintage), tell them to get over it. You get more traffic than simply "Cancelled TV Shows DVD Release Dates".

There's a pre-existing thread on the remastering efforts for Anne of Green Gables (and according to the official Facebook page, Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel is currently in the works) and Road to Avonlea started by someone else, which I also alerted that a pre-order listing was added for Season 4.

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

I did, although they say "in stock" and then they say "This product will be released on April 2011."

You should start a thread for that show, because it's very confusing to collect with all those reissues and different versions and best ofs floating around.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by ChrisCook
For a minute there, I thought this was an old thread. Ethan, the thread title you had sufficed. This is nice complement to TVShowsOnDVD.com's Release Schedule. If certain members have issue with "classic" (however loosely you put it - I took it both ways, covering both modern and vintage), tell them to get over it. You get more traffic than simply "Cancelled TV Shows DVD Release Dates".

There's a pre-existing thread on the remastering efforts for Anne of Green Gables (and according to the official Facebook page, Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel is currently in the works) and Road to Avonlea started by someone else, which I also alerted that a pre-order listing was added for Season 4.
I did tell them to get over it--it just made things ten times worse. I should just call it "older" shows so that people know it's not about currently-airing shows that get the lion's share of coverage throughout the media. That's the only reason I made this thread; to help promote those older titles on dvd. Now I'm thinking "cancelled" might make people think we're talking about shows that were supposed to come out on dvd but were cancelled. *sigh*

But, for now--bumped for news of CLASSIC drama Dynasty, also another season of Mannix and perhaps the holy grail for Hanna Barbera fans: the Herculoids!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Bump for the Lucy Show and Police Story, also minor edits and a few date confirmations.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
My more or less monthly bump: this time for:
Dennis the Menace
Jem
Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer
Medical Center
According to Jim
The Simpsons
Boys Meets World
Adam-12
Barney Miller
and Fish
...which is probably the biggest amount of editing I've done this whole calendar year combined...!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I had a few points to make about the 1st season vs. remaining seasons. I know in prior posts it has been suggested that some studios are throwing as many release out there as possible to see which ones are 'worthy' of further releases.
As mentioned, one problem with this is it infuriates the fans of the shows deemed 'unworthy'. They get upset that their favorite show is stalled, and vow never to purchase again (a probable lie to themselves that they will break if another season/favorite surfaces).
However, another problem I have, is with shows that change directions or don't find their way until the second or third season. In those cases, the first season is sometimes a completely different show, and that is what keeps people away (for example "Newhart" - I consider the first season a much different show from the later seasons).
To clarify my terms, because I know how much people on this particular thread like to argue and argue over semantics. I use the term 'worthy' only to describe shows that get further releases. It in no way comments on the quality of the actual show. In the same manner, I use the term 'unworthy' to describe shows that do not (or haven't yet) gotten further releases. It also, in no way comments on the quality of the actual show.
P.S. I wish that Universal would deem Rockford Files Movies Volume 2 as 'worthy'
David

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Bumped for:

Bonanza
Gunsmoke
Perry Mason
Man from Atlantis
and also Farscape blu-ray re-release news.
Despite the fact that the first three dvds on this list are 1/2 seasons, and that part of Man from Atlantis is a re-release and that Farscape is also a re-release (upgrade to blu), I have to say that this has still been the busiest month for oldies releases listings in ages! :P Hope the studios keep it up, because there's a lot of popular shows that have been announced!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
So..."It Takes a Thief" comes off the Rumored list and into reality, "Falcon Crest" gets a rumor, and "Moby Dick" comes out as a Warner Archive. And the month isn't yet quite over--

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Bumped for several Shout titles that are coming off the "rumored" list:
Hazel
Designing Women
Webster
Adam-12
Keep in mind that according to the news item, these titles have not been officially announced and are subject to change.
This has been a good month for releases. I wish every month brought this much news... :D

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ethan Riley said:
Bumped for several Shout titles that are coming off the "rumored" list:
Hazel
Designing Women
Webster
Adam-12
Keep in mind that according to the news item, these titles have not been officially announced and are subject to change.
This has been a good month for releases. I wish every month brought this much news... :D
I wonder what happened to Ironside Season 5. I had Emailed them earlier in the year and they wrote back that Seasons 5 and 6 would be released before the end of the year.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Frank Soyke said:
I wonder what happened to Ironside Season 5. I had Emailed them earlier in the year and they wrote back that Seasons 5 and 6 would be released before the end of the year.
I don't know what's going on there. I still have it in the "rumored" section, but I'd have hoped it would make it onto that catalog list. Maybe they won't be out until 2012.
And I hope Perry Mason keeps going, and we get all 30 movies! And I want more Cannon, too! And Medical Center. And Marcus Welby. And...

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
A nice way to end this busy month, with the final release of The Bionic Woman! Nice to see that news of all these releases have kept this thread bumped up to page one, rather than "constant tinkering and debatable additions." :eek: Anyway, there have been 20+ additions to this list in the past month alone, which is something of a record.
Interesting how my long-running prediction that a lot of titles will start being released as complete series sets rather than seasons sets is coming true (It Takes a Thief, Barney Miller and more). But you'd think that by 2011 they'd get the clue and decide to release at least the older filmed series as blu-ray complete series sets at this point. I don't know about the rest of you, but for some shows that we know would look good in 1080p, it's hard for me to get off the dime and spend big bucks on a huge standard def Complete Series sets with that small, nervous voice inside of you warning that a blu-ray offering of the same show might be available in a couple of years. (Maybe not).
I also think it's dumb of Lionsgate to re-release their execrable Little House on the Prairie collection in cheaper packaging with the same crapola syndie prints. If they were going to go through all the fuss of re-releasing this hugely popular show, they should have put the extra effort into finding better prints and making a blu-ray version available. Is there any reason whatsoever to re-release a completed series unless it's better than the discs that are already available? In that spirit, a thank you has to go to A&E for having the sense to re-release Farscape as a blu.
And it's also nice that Shout isn't going to keep us waiting X number of years for several seasons of Barney Miller to dribble out, one by one. They're offering the whole eight seasons in one go, and part of Fish besides. This release may (or may not) irritate owners of the first three seasons, but who knows--Shout may offer the latter five seasons individually or in their own 5-part set at some point. And if the experiment works out for them, god knows we'd love to see the same thing happen for the long-lost Jeffersons (and probably several dozen other shows while they're at it).
So, yeah--no matter how you look at it, it's been a pretty good month for older shows. I have no clue if the momentum will continue for the next five months of the year, but we watch and wait.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
A nice way to end this busy month, with the final release of The Bionic Woman! Nice to see that news of all these releases have kept this thread bumped up to page one, rather than "constant tinkering and debatable additions." Anyway, there have been 20+ additions to this list in the past month alone, which is something of a record.
Interesting how my long-running prediction that a lot of titles will start being released as complete series sets rather than seasons sets is coming true (It Takes a Thief, Barney Miller and more). But you'd think that by 2011 they'd get the clue and decide to release at least the older filmed series as blu-ray complete series sets at this point. I don't know about the rest of you, but for some shows that we know would look good in 1080p, it's hard for me to get off the dime and spend big bucks on a huge standard def Complete Series sets with that small, nervous voice inside of you warning that a blu-ray offering of the same show might be available in a couple of years. (Maybe not).
I also think it's dumb of Lionsgate to re-release their execrable Little House on the Prairie collection in cheaper packaging with the same crapola syndie prints. If they were going to go through all the fuss of re-releasing this hugely popular show, they should have put the extra effort into finding better prints and making a blu-ray version available. Is there any reason whatsoever to re-release a completed series unless it's better than the discs that are already available? In that spirit, a thank you has to go to A&E for having the sense to re-release Farscape as a blu.
And it's also nice that Shout isn't going to keep us waiting X number of years for several seasons of Barney Miller to dribble out, one by one. They're offering the whole eight seasons in one go, and part of Fish besides. This release may (or may not) irritate owners of the first three seasons, but who knows--Shout may offer the latter five seasons individually or in their own 5-part set at some point. And if the experiment works out for them, god knows we'd love to see the same thing happen for the long-lost Jeffersons (and probably several dozen other shows while they're at it).
So, yeah--no matter how you look at it, it's been a pretty good month for older shows. I have no clue if the momentum will continue for the next five months of the year, but we watch and wait.
I agree on the complete series sets issue (why Shout! didn't do The Facts of Life this way is beyond me, but hey, you take the good, you take the bad, and all that…). But these days I'm happy for what does come out. I have high hopes for the Barney Miller set, as I never bought any of Sony's releases. On the other hand, I would like to see more older filmed shows come out in Blu-Ray, but at the same time I'm afraid the studios will continue to do the same horrible things they did to them before and add tilt and scan to all that!

I also couldn't agree more on Lionsgate's "complete" set of Little House on the Prairie, considering that I have been told Universal released uncut remastered versions in PAL in Region 2, which would be extremely easy to convert to 23.976 frames per second if they could get copies of those masters (there are also Japanese sets as well, which no one has reported on). My Mom loves this show and I'd love to be able to buy it for her as a present, but not in the form that's available to us Americans. What's next, a "complete" set of ALF using the same crummy cut versions they tried to foist on us? Between the Japanese and German Region 2 sets you can get all but two episodes uncut.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I think you can also convert them to 23.976 fps, by using a combination of Virtualdub and audacity. I've tried it with several PAL formatted American movies and TV shows that were shot on film, and it definitely works.
Just rip the PAL masters from the DVD, convert them to AVI on your computer, and then use Virtualdub and audacity, like I mentioned just now.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001
I think you can also convert them to 23.976 fps, by using a combination of Virtualdub and audacity. I've tried it with several PAL formatted American movies and TV shows that were shot on film, and it definitely works.
Just rip the PAL masters from the DVD, convert them to AVI on your computer, and then use Virtualdub and audacity, like I mentioned just now.
It's not that simple. Universal has the video rights to the show overseas—NBC produced it in-house originally—but a company that got bought by Lionsgate got the DVD rights before GE bought Universal. I don't know who they got the masters from (probably the same crummy 1980s Worldvision tapes that have been circulating in reruns for decades, which is why CBS owns the syndication rights now). They may not be able to get the masters, nor would Lionsgate go to the trouble.

I use the tools that came with Final Cut Studio to convert PAL stuff (I'm not touching FCP X with a ten-foot pole in its current state), and I imagine if they did they would use professional equipment. But if even consumer-grade tools like the ones you used can do it, then a studio can.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Moesha as a MOD? I didn't see that one coming! I was actually going to add it to my "Sadly Neglected" sitcoms thread, but now I guess I don't have to! Keep it up, CBS, Shout and others--you're starting August off right! :)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Bumped for "Steven Canyon" and "Perry Mason" news, and "Wizards and Warriors," "Donna Reed' and "the Virginian" rumors and minor edits.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
More Gunsmoke, Donna Reed finally gets a release date, and Timeless puts out two shows I've never even heard of: Wide Country and Medic!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks