Cancelled series can get reincarnated on DVD!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Alina_D, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Alina_D

Alina_D Auditioning

If it worked for My Big Fat Greek Life (which I got for Christmas by the way) and is happening for Jake 2.0 (loved the show, hate the network) why can't it happen for Wolf Lake, Mantis, or MDs? I was lucky to find WL on the tape trading circuit, but have had no luck w/the other two (but if anyone has these on VHS please don't hesitate to e-mail me)! Damn! How does one go about writing to the DVD rights owners and starting up a petition? Any advice?! BRING Birds Of Prey TO DVD!!

2. TomJC

TomJC Extra

I think those two are special cases. With "My Big Fat Greek Life", they could fit the whole thing into one low-cost set and market it to those who enjoyed the movie (and perhaps never sampled or stuck with the tv show).

The Jake 2.0 disc was actually meant as a promo to get people interested enough to watch the series, but it became redundant since they shipped it after the series had already been given the ax.

I do think there are cases where a very short-lived show like these could be released and do well (Firefly would be a good example), but the circumstances surrounding the release would have to be right.

3. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

I want Tremors: The Series. Especially as I've never had chance to see it.

4. LorenzoL

LorenzoL Second Unit

I think the Tick is another example of a series getting cancelled and then being released to DVD.

5. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

I'd love to see 'Undeclared' get a DVD release.

6. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I would like to see Andy Richter Controls the Universe on DVD.

-Mike

7. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Michael, I was thinking the same thing. Today I was cleaning my living room and found a tape with the episode "The Maid Man" where Andy dates Jessica's housekeeper, Irina. Great stuff.

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'd love to see Birds of Prey, Greg the Bunny, Alien Nation, and V.

9. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Nowhere Man!

10. James T

James T Screenwriter

What is this Jake 2.0 DVD? I liked the show, but I haven't heard of any DVD. Is it an unaired episode?

11. ChrisRose

ChrisRose Stunt Coordinator

I'd love to see these short-lived shows on DVD (but I don't have much hope, since there's no "current tie-in"):

Covington Cross (1992) stars: Glenn Quinn, Ione Skye

Relativity (1996) stars: Kimberly Williams, Devon Gummersall

Prey (1998) stars: Debra Messing, Adam Storke

Zoe, Duncan, Jack & Jane (1999) stars: Michael Rosenbaum, Selma Blair

Opposite Sex (2000) stars: Milo Ventimiglia, Allison Mack

The Geena Davis Show (2000)

Kate Brasher (2001) stars: Gregory Smith, Mary Stuart Masterson

Of course *I* can justify/rationalize a current tie-in and reason to release these series on DVD... mainly the fact that a lot of these actors are now famous for other, more successful shows/movies, and it stands to reason that their fans would snap up DVDs of their previous shows too.

The late Glenn Quinn was on Roseanne and is still fondly remembered for his short stint on Angel .... Devon Gummerall was on My So-Called Life, Felicity and Roswell.... Debra Messing is now famous for Will and Grace.... Michael Rosenbaum and Allison Mack are on the hit Smallville .... Milo Ventimiglia made quite an impact on Gilmore Girls .... Gregory Smith's making ladies swoon (uh, not me) and getting a lot of acclaim for Everwood ... and of course... Mary Stuart Masterson rocks! (famous for her movies Some Kind Of Wonderful and Fried Green Tomatoes)

Maybe I'm nuts, but if it were me I'd be releasing these obscure shows and promoting the fact that they star these famous people and... yeah.

Sorry for the long list, but it felt good to share my futile dreams. :b

P.S. Another vote here for Greg The Bunny. Seth Green... Eugene Levy... both well-known and well-regarded for lots of things (I'll spare you another list from me) [​IMG]. What the heck is FOX waiting for?! Release it! Please. [​IMG]

12. Sean.S

Sean.S Stunt Coordinator

Tokyo Pig was cancelled after 29 episodes, but is coming to DVD this year!

Tokyo Pig was an AWESOME show, one I watched to the very end of its run on ABC Family, when the Nielsens dropped to 0.1... *sniff*

Why do bad things happen to good shows?

13. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Warner confirmed in last night's chat that V was on the way.

14. Brooke

Brooke Stunt Coordinator

There are so many one or half season wonders I would like to see come to DVD. My favs. would be:

The Byrds of Paradise
    Charlie Grace
    The Ellen Show
    Family Affair (2002)
    The Geena Davis Show
    Get Real
    Good Advice
    Heart of the City
    Ink
    Madigan Men
    Relativity
    Safe Harbor
    These Arms of Mine
    Two of a Kind (sad, I know)
    Veritas: The Quest

And because I really fear that Arrested Development wont see the light of day come September, I'm going to add that to my list now.

It's a pretty safe bet that if I love it, it will be cancelled. Probaby only about 15-20% of my favourites make it past season 2 and even those are a fight, ie Once & Again.

15. MattGentry

MattGentry Second Unit

Md's
    Jake 2.0
    Undeclared
    Greg The Bunny
    Arrested Development

16. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

Arrested Development is coming don't worry. See my post on it for more details.

My number one cancelled DVD that I despretly want and have been screaming for is Brimstone. After all these years it is still one of my favourite shows ever.

Other then that I really want

Keen Eddie
    Glory Days
    Do Over
    Opposite Sex
    Action
    The Job
    Teen Angel
    You Wish
    Profit

17. LizH

LizH Second Unit

We have a campaign on to do just that. [​IMG]

(Follow the link in my sig. [​IMG] )

18. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

You forgot Miracles. It had 7 unaired episodes. Which I was able to view. What a shame it was cancelled. Some of those episodes were excellent. On par with X-Files in it's hayday. Good ole Disney cancelled the show because the didn't like the content. Which if fine. It's their perogative. But, they knew what the show was about. So why order it in the first place?!?

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Except they didn't; it rapidly lost viewers between its first and last airings, and ABC kept it around longer than Veritas, which premiered the same night. Certainly, it wasn't helped by a bunch of Iraq-related pre-emptions, but it's not a good sign that ratings practically doubled for the time slot when ABC filled it with reruns of The Practice.

20. Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Strangely enough, I just saw a sign outside a local church that says:

"GODISNOWHERE"

which of course was the recurring line in Miracles, broken down by many characters as "God is nowhere" but as "God is now here" by the hero. I saw it as I drove past yesterday on my way home, and I about choked. I don't know if the sign was inspired by the series, or what, but it was weird.

Short-lived programs that have been pulled before their times would be good candidates for no-frills DVD releases, IMHO. That might make them more affordable to produce, and would satisfy the fans need to have good copies of a complete show. Extras are nice, but if meant the difference between release or no release, I'd prefer to have a release that didn't go overboard and actually happened. Miracles and Veritas would definitely be among the series I'd buy that way. Ditto Jake 2.0. And Dead Last. And Do Over. And I'd buy a commercial release of Birds of Prey, Wolf Lake, Glory Days, and Witchblade any old way they want to release 'em.