Canceling Aol

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatrickG, Jan 11, 2002.

1. PatrickG

PatrickG Auditioning

Hope somebody can help me with this problem. Here goes I purchased a Gateway computer with 1 year free AOL, and the subscription ran out back in June. But I didn't realize that I had to cancel my free subscription and now I get a notice saying that I now owe $93.85 for service(6 months later), I didn't use!!! Has anyone dealt with Aol?? What can I do about this?? Thanks for any replies/advice on this. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

call customer service at AOL and gateway

ask AOL if they ever have any record of you logging on, if not, how can they charge you, if you have used AOL, you are going to have to pay

3. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

You're screwed (pessimist).

I had the same issue w/ AOL. They charged me for using their site when I had already cancelled. I asked them to check my usage and he said I had used it 3 minutes in the last six months. I was infuriated and they then changed their story to variable amounts each month. They are liars and are used to it and your credit card company won't stick up for you against them.

4. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

I worked for AOL up till 1999 and the policy was that if ANY amount of time was used in a month even as little as 1 minute then you owe and there is nothing you can do about it.

However if their records show that you have no usage then they are supposed to refund the $$$.

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Don't mean to be smug, but why anybody even bothered with AOL in the first place anyways? (free or otherwise)

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    On a similar note, I avoid ALL these free XX=day trials, especially the ones through your credit card that are automatically billed.. I get calls all the time saying, we'll give you $15 and 30 free days for program X. The problem is I never remember to cancel them and even though I have never had a problem in getting a charge deducted after it mysteriously appearing on my CC bill, it's a pain. I once went into a lengthy discussion with a telemarketer as to why its not worth $15 to have to deal with CS and getting it off my bill. If they have no record of you using AOL, then they really should just refund/cancel your charge and you should be OK.

Now unless it's over like $100, I don't even bother with these free XX day trial things. If you were diligent, you probably could make a small fortune but I never remember to cancel them so I usually just decline it to begin with..

Jay

7. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I too own a Gateway computer and had the same thing happen to me. However, I noticed it on my credit card bill after the first month and cancelled. Did I still have to pay the 20-some dollars for the one month of service I did not use? Yep. I also did not use the free AOL for a year because it sucks so much that I didn't even want it for free. I was pretty mad that I had to pay for AOL, I hate AOL so much that I didn't want any of my money to directly go to them, but there was nothing I could do.

I called the number on my credit card bill and cancelled the service. Unfortunately you will have to pay for the 6 months, but at least you can get rid of AOL.

8. Mark Tomlin

Mark Tomlin Agent

Hey, thanks for the reminder. I bought a Gateway a little over one year ago and was just charged this month for one month of AOL. I quickly cancelled before it rang up any higher. If I hadn't read this thread, there was a good chance I would have missed the charge on my credit card statement.

9. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Great thread I had a friend asking this same questions except that he nor I have been able to find a number to call AOL customer Service. If someone has a number please post it to this thread so I can give it to my buddy.

KyleS

10. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

AOL Member Services: 1-800-827-6364

Windows Tech Support: 1-888-346-3704

Mac Tech Support 1-888-265-8007

Sales & Billing: 1-888-265-8003

TTY: 1-800-759-3323

11. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Thank you for the numbers Randy T.

KyleS