Canare L-5CFB Component Cable

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by arkadiy, Mar 9, 2004.

1. arkadiy

arkadiy Auditioning

A few weeks ago in a thread I read that the Canare L-5CFB is very good for component connection. A couple of people said they did tests and that they seen a significant difference between this cable and regural component cables...

anyways my connection is: Tv to receiver, Receiver to DVD player
    so I need two sets of component cable.
    Do I need to buy two of Canare L-5CFB's or can I buy (one) Canare L-5CFB and one cheaper kind of component and still get good picture?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

well, if you're going to receiver first, you'll want the connection from device to receiver AND the receiver to TV to be high quality (it will only be as good as the weakest link in the chain!).

YOu might save money and go direct from the DVD to the TV and leave the receiver out of it.

-V

3. Cornelius

Cornelius Stunt Coordinator

Also, if you haven't ordered it, get the Canare V3-5CFB. It's the same as the L-5CFB except that it is bundled as 3 cables.

CJ

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi arkadiy. Welcome to HTF!

Component Video is a 1940's standard. When you see a package in a store of "Component" cables - it only has to be compatible with the 4 Mhz signals that were state-of-the-art in 1940.

The Canare coax is rated for much higher frequencies than just component. It was designed to handle the 35 Mhz HD video signals. It is very good stuff and if you buy from a custom site, it should run you a lot less than Monster or more exotic cables.

And I agree with everyone else: Buy 1 good cable and go straight from your source to the television. It makes no sense to go through your reciever because:

- The reciever acts like a switch - but if you have only 1 source you have nothing to switch between.

- Many recievers offer "Component" switching, but are not rated for Progressive or HD frequencies. Look at your manual and see if it says something like 90 Mhz or more bandwidth on the video connections.

If you have several Progressive/HD sources and run out of inputs there are several very good 4-in/1-out HD video switchers for about $80-$200. We can advise you where to find them if you want.

Good Luck.

5. arkadiy

arkadiy Auditioning

thanks for the warm welcome and the advice
    my reciever (onkyo sr601) supports HD frequencies (i remember reading, but not completely sure)

for now im going to connect it straight to the TV but I might need another component port for satellite (not sure if it uses component or not)

ne ways i ordered the V3 thanks for the heads up

6. Ronald Cage

Ronald Cage Extra

I use the beldon 1694a digital video cable for all of my component needs. This is cable also comes in 3-wire bundle
    which is 7701a the 1694a can be used for all of your connections, dvd, cd, cassette, sub-woofers, cable boxes, directv, digital coaxial, vcr connections, composite video,and hdtv converter boxes. 30ft of the 7701a cost me $55.20 and 50ft of the 1694a cost me $27.50. The 75 ohm can-rcap-c53 RCA crimp plugs cost $3.19 ea. I am very pleased and so are my friends who I installed these cables for! I purchased all the goods and equipment at Pacific Radio Electronics in Burbank California.
    I believe there is a web site, go to google and search the name.
    Anytime you can do a direct connect from you source to you monitor, do it. The receiver's component connections are there for the sale and usually is not superior to a direct connection. good luck!

7. arkadiy

arkadiy Auditioning

thanks for the help guys

this is a little off topic but I didnt want to start a thread for such a simple question

I am looking for digital audio optical cable, its either the Dayton - parts express part # 180-945
    -$7 appx

or AR PRO II - parts express part # 181-872
    $25 appx

would there be a difference between the two, seems like a huge price difference, any info is appreciated

thanks

8. Cornelius

Many different opinions on this. If you are making your own component video cables, buy some more of the Belden 1694a or Canare L-5CFB and make your own!

CJ

9. Cornelius

Actually, just thought about this some more. If you bought the crimper to fit the Canare cable, get the Canare LV-77S cable and connectors to fit. Your crimper will still work with these and it is a more flexible cable since it has a stranded copper center, rather than solid. Be sure that you order the correct RCAP connector for this cable since it is different than what you ordered for the other.

If you bought the crimping die for the Belden cable, do not get the LV-77S as the die will not fit this cable.

CJ