What's new

Canare DIY cables as audio patch cords (1 Viewer)

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I'm about to buy the tools for the DIY Canare cabling per Chris White's page (great stuff Chris) and was wondering, why stop at just digital (sub, pre/pro, amp) connections.

Is there any reason that the RG6 coax couldn't/shouldn't be used for analog audio connections (TV, VCR etc)? Overkill is what comes to mind.

Just wanted some input as I want to finalize how much material I'll need. If I do all of the analog stuff, I'll double my order of cable, techflex and connectors.

TIA! Bob

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Bob,

You can use the RG6 as analog cables as well. It may be a little stiff to use for short interconnects, but other than that it's fine.

Brian

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking that the audio patch cords will be no shorter than about 3ft with most of them running a bit longer as they weave their way in and out of my entertainment center.

BTW, what do you consider short runs? I haven't worked with RG6 yet and I'm curious as to the maximum bend radius (w/o bending the internal 18 awg conductor).

Bob

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Canare's L-5CFB (RG6) is actually more flexible than I had expected. I think anything less than 2' long would be pushing it.

Brian

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
hmmmm, 2' eh? I'm thinking that's what my pre/pro to amp runs will be. However, if it's really stiff at 2' lengths, it may be a problem as have a back to the entertainment center and the big loop will get scrunched.

Maybe I'll grab about 20' of the LV777S and connectors for the pre/pro to amp connections. Lemme mull it over...

Thanks again.

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator
Dont buy the Canare tools. The stuff from Radio shack works very nicely. I just built some cables using the radio shack stripper and crimper and the cables turned out fantastic.

If you want any info on the part numbers or have anyquestions, feel free to drop me an email

Jeff

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Hi Jeff,

I saw your past posts on this and have been waffling at the die price ($62 at Have Inc.). I have an order pending with Parts Express for the crimp handle but not the die.

How much did you pay for the Rat Shack stuff? The only thing I'm worred about is the quality of the center conductor crimp. I'm pretty ok with the hex crimp not being "Canare". If you got a good connection w/ RS stuff, I could just pick up the crimp handle and get the die from RS. The handles are universal, right?

BTW, what are the RS p/n you're using?

Let me know. Thanks for the input.

Bob

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Hey guys, Ideal makes a crimp handle and die for just this purpose. I'm not sure what the die number is but it is described as having a top crimp for RG6, the next lower crimp is for the smaller coax (RG56??), there are two more small crimps at the lower side of the die, and the bottom one is for the center pin. I believe this tool and die can be had for around $50 at Fry's Electronics(Phoenix. Home Depot and Lowe's also carry the Ideal crimp handle and I'm sure you can order the die. Good luck

My friend purchased this setup and I used it to make 100' worth of Canare interconnects. It worked flawlessly

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Every other mfg center pin crimp that I've seen is the std BNC crimp size of .068". The Canare center pin crimp size is smaller, .055"-.059".

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks