Canare cabels

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david*mt, Dec 18, 2002.

1. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

Are custom made canare component cables any good? I am thinking about buying one. It is three separate discrete cables.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Canare cables are great. Some folks build component with Belden cable and Canare connectors (I have tried both and find zero picture difference and the Canare to be easier to work with), but either way they smoke most things available from Monster Cable and manufacturers like that.

The best part with custom stuff, depending on who you buy from, is that you can get deluxe botique options and completely customize the color scheme and look of the cables.

I build a lot of stuff using Canare parts- and they are great. Pretty much the same stuff they use in broadcast and production facilities all over the world.

The only variable in the quality will be the builder. If you trust your builder, you should be fine. If you have a specific builder in mind, you might post to solicit reviews from other members on their particular builds.

-vince

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

4. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

The one I am considering getting is going to be used to connect my DVD player to my TV. It is not High definition so it doesn't have to be great. I just want to make sure that the Canares are decent. The component cable I am considering getting is three separate cables, all exactly the same. The are not bound together. I wonder if this makes a difference?

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Lee,

Do you recall the cable and connector types you were using back then (I know it was a while ago...)

You should drop me an email and I'd be happy to build you one or two runs on the house, just to get your thoughts. It's only unbalanced RCA stuff (might not be too useful for studio use), but if you've had some criticism in the past I'd be eager to see if you still see the same problems.

I don't think it will make a difference- although be aware that Canare does have a specific 3 conductor line in an outer shield (V3-5CFB) which many people use for component (I personally use this stuff).

There is some school of thought that the V3-5CFB would be better than individual lines. ("coaxes in V3 are spiral wrapped to prevent differential delay and eliminate channel to channel phase errors.") But I dunno if I buy that.

-Vince

6. PatrickLG

PatrickLG Agent

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

8. PatrickLG

PatrickLG Agent

Plus or minus 1/2 inch wont be an issue, Canare and Belden time their multi-cable runs to 2ns @ 100ft!!!!

9. Chris Barker

Chris Barker Auditioning

Just to throw a few things into the mix. I have switched almost my entire system over to Canare. I buy it premade in a rainbow of pretty colors from Markertek ($25 a 3 foot pair - lifetime warranty with Canare F10 RCAs). I've reviewed the Canare lit they sent me and I am very pleased with the design (rf rejection, etc) and the sound. I may have tin ears but I've been building hobby hi-fi component kits since I was a teenager (ps audio, hafler). My current system includes new McCormack MAP-1 multi-channel analog preamp, McCormack DNA amp, Martin Logan Aerius i's, and Rel Strata III sub, AR merrill mod TT w/ Morch tonearm, Benz cart, Sony NS500 SACD/DVD/CD. Sound is wonderful both on analog TT, SACD, DVD, and normal CD. I've played with moderately expensive MIT, Kimber, etc. cable. All good but I've become somewhat cable agnostic after a point. I've spent thousands on cable over the years. I still can't bring myself to honestly say that this cable or that cable is revolutionary - especially at a $1k a meter. I'll go out on a limb and say if a cable change makes "dramatic" differences in your sound system, then there might be something else going on in your system that you want to look into!

Another tweak to pursue in lieu of expensive cable is Stabilent 22. Once was available as Tweak from Sumiko. This stuff does work on connections and I have experiential evidence with home audio, car stereo, and computers that convince me. Check posthorn.com for details. John Marks also mentions this in his latest column in Stereophile this month.

-CB