What's new

Canare 4S11 speaker cables for my budget HT? (1 Viewer)

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
My friend had about 90 feet of the Canare 4S11 (quad style) left over from his custom HT installation and gave them to me. I am currently running a Pioneer 811 (50 watt * 7 channel receiver) with JBL S Center II, 4 JBL S26 sattlelites, and JBL PB12 sub. My home theater room is about 20'x 14' and I am using Radio Shack's 16-gauage speaker wire all around.

I confess that I am a newbie and don't know much about HT. I bought the components mostly based on recommendations from this site and at avsforum. The 4S11 is supposedly two 14-gauage speaker wires twisted together and resulted in an 11-gauage wire. I know that the bigger guage wire carries signal better for longer distance but the current longest connection in my setup is only 24'. Can I use the 4S11 with my system? Does bigger gauage speaker wire require more power to drive through comparing to the smaller guage wire?

Thank you for the help.

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
Charlie-

No, you will be fine with the Canare wire, infack I have been thinking about getting that myself. The only word of caution is make sure when you are connecting the wire up you don't have any loose wires that will short things out. One suggestion (if you have 5-way amp/speaker connectors) is to get something like the RadioShack Dual Banana Plug @ $5.99 (Cat#:278-308) for easy removal and connection. However, i DON'T know it it can take the 11 gauge wire size.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks