Canadians: Shaw Digital Cable or Bell ExpressVu?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Karim Nogas, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a Sony 53XBR300 that is 1080i capable but requires some sort of processor or something to connect to the DTV outputs on the back.
    Sony is selling ExpressVu dishes so the $799 model would work with the XBR. Unfortunately, there is limited HDTV programming (no MNF!!!).
    I have no experience with digital cable, but it is certainly cheaper than going with the dish, both monthly and installation.
    With the new digital channels, it seems like a good time to consider making the switch from basic cable.
    Movies, sports, news and weekly dramas would be the main time of viewing.
    NHL Centre Ice sounds sweet... [​IMG]
    Any thoughts on which way to go would be greatly appreciated.

2. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Our condo building just got a common dish installed last month. I researched the offerings between Bell ExpressVu, Star Choice, Vidéotron Digital Cable and Look.
    Look was already going out of business. Plus, their system was already running up to full capacity.
    Vidéotron digital cabe is way overpriced for what they offered. Plus the customer support is atrocious as it was confirmed once again by a neighbour this morning.
    Star Choice was an option, but my e-mails were left unanswered. If a company doesn't answer my e-mails within a reasonable delay, that company doesn't take the Internet very seriously. Also, their channel package lineup is a mess. Many of the packages have channels that don't necessarily belong together.
    Bell ExpressVu offered us a great deal. Unfortunately, the non-disclosure clause in the contract prevents me from revealing the exact details of the agreement, but I can say that the deal was too good to pass up. Their package deals are well balanced, offering us an excellent choice of channels that actually belong together in the same package. That includes the forty channels that were recently introduced. The customer support is surprisingly efficient -- at least for the French version of the support. It only took a few short minutes on a weeknight to alter my programming and have it activated on my receiver. I don't even remember if I was actually put on hold!
    I've seen basic cable at other homes and knew right away that wasn't for me. So when I heard our condo building could receive satellite service from a common dish, I researched and submitted the project at our yearly meeting and it was accepted unanimously. Now that the service is in place and was installed just as the new channels were introduced, the new subscribers (including me) are extremely happy with the highly improved picture and sound quality, and the wide selection of channels.
    Visit http://www.expressvu.com
    ------------------
    The Milnoc
    News, Views, DVD Reviews.
    [Edited last by Francois Caron on September 09, 2001 at 12:35 AM]

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    From my experiences, my Sattelite connection is more reliable and ususally better quality than the digital cable my friends have...
    I have experienced Digital Cable at 2 peoples' houses, both times the channel changing was slower by a bit compared to sattelite, the digital cable pixellated/scrambled up more often than my satellite, and a few times when i change to another channel, it said it lost the connection or something, and took awhile for it to work again... this was only a couple hours of use...
    Only once in my months has my sattelite really crapped out, and even so, it was only for 5-10 minutes where it aid 'acquiring sattelite signal'...

4. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Francois. Your web page was a lot of help.

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Thanks for the compliment Karim! Have fun with your new toy whichever way you go.
    ------------------
    The Milnoc
    News, Views, DVD Reviews.

6. Darryn Macdonald

Darryn Macdonald Auditioning

I have a Sony 53" HS10 set with the expressvu model 6000 receiver and I am able to connect it to either the rgbhv or the wideband component inputs with no problem. However, even if you ignore the hd channels available on expressvu, digital cable in canada is pretty crappy. Cons for digital cable: not all channels available in digital, more service interuptions, worse picture on digital channels, have to rent the equipment(no option to buy), no HDTV, higher prices for most programming packages. Pros: easy to install, low initial investment required. All of this is compared to expressvu, and most of my personal experience is with rogers digital cable (I do not have shaw in my town).