Canadians ordering from the U.S

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne McRae, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

I called Customs Canada and they told me that there is no duty on stereo or home theater receivers.All you have to pay is PST & GST.I can save around $350.00 getting the Onkyo 898 in the U.S. Has anyone else done this? Thanx for any help.

Wayner

2. JeffreyH

JeffreyH Stunt Coordinator

I haven't ordered any audio equipment from the US yet, but have ordered many other products. I'm taking it that you are mail-ordering it? If not then disregard what I'm about to say.

With the current situation you should expect lengthy delays at the border, I've waited a month for some things!

Another thing is NEVER us UPS, brokerage fees on a product that expensive will make you want to deck the delivery guy.

I've paid up to $50 on a $150 item! How they figured that out I don't know. This is the biggest complaint Canadians have against UPS.

3. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

BROKERAGE FEES ARE @#$#[email protected]%#@%@#%@%#

Sorry. I think Fedex charges brokerage fees too. Purolator is the best but is almost a never used option in the US.

4. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

I think that the no duty is true only if it is made in the USA. If not I could hve saved myself some dough. Oh well.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I've had a couple of things shipped since 9/11 and all went though no problem. Like the previous poster said its not duty you have to worry about but brokerage fee's if you use UPS. I don't mind paying tax on items since I'd have to if I bought it locally but brokerage fee's can be unreal for what amounts to 5 minutes worth of paper work. Canada post only charges $5 for the same service to give you some idea how bad UPS is. Generally speaking any parcel marked as a gift and valued under $60 cdn will be tax and duty free. Any item under $20 should be totally free as well. Items shipped from a business have to have the real price as the declared value or else they can get into big trouble so expect to pay both tax's on the declared value plus brokerage fee plus duty if applicable.

6. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

Why not use Borderfree service. They will tell you exactly how much it costs in Canadian dollars to get it at your doorstep. You have 48 or 72 hrs to decide. If you do not like you can decline the quote and there is no obligation. Try it. That way there is someone to complain to if something goes wrong. I have used that service and I am very pleased.

7. GabrielC

GabrielC Stunt Coordinator

Borderfree.com really cut down a lot on their services, they only cater to a handful of companies right now (you can only order from about 5 companies over the border). They were a lot better before. Hopefully they increase their business partners, so that we can start using it again. (and hopefully with lowered shipping costs!!!)

8. Myles

Myles Agent

Have you tried some of the online Canadian stores?
    Try www.audioexpress.com (email them for current pricing). I bought my Integra receiver there...saved a bundle.
    Whoops....as someone pointed out...I meant www.audioexpress.ca
    Sorry

9. GabrielC

Actually that's something I've been trying to look for, do you know of any other canadian online retailers?

10. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

i think you meatn audioexpress.ca

audioexpress.com is a car audio site

-Seb

11. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

Expect to pay GST/PST or HST at the border as well as brokerage fees. Duties on electronic equipment is around 7% with taxes charged on the duty. Goods marked "made in usa" have no duty.

12. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Sorry guys,I should have clarified that I'm going across the line to buy and bring it back myself.Customs assured me there was no duty,only the taxes.I asked about made in the U.S.A only and he checked for me.He said there was no duty on outside the U.S. either.I'm going to double check that with someone else today.I'll keep you posted.

Wayner

13. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Wayne...PeaceBridge Brokerage,here in Halifax,has told me that I would be liable for taxes (15%) on the purchase price converted in Canadian Dollars,plus suffrance and warehouse charges(plus 15 tax) on certain electronics.Made is USA is exzempt,Made outside ie:Japan or China is dutiable though.

14. GabrielC

My friend's family just came back from the US (about 3 months ago) across Niagara Falls and the customs officer there said that both products Made in the USA and outside the USA were duty free now. Strange, I wonder which one is right....

15. KevinGS

KevinGS Stunt Coordinator

I called Canada Customs last week in regards to getting an SVS. They said taxes (GST & PST)on Canadian value, no duty since it is made in USA. Did not ask about products made outside the USA.

16. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

I live about 20 miles from the US border, and the company I work for has a UPS, Fedex, and USPS mailing addresses in the US, which I can use, lucky me. Everything NEW that is made in the USA has NO duty, but you will be PST/GST or HST no matter what. If the piece of NEW equipment is made elsewhere, then there will be a duty charge, plus PST/GST or HST. I don't remember what happens with USED merchandise purchased in the US though.

When you buy something, make sure you can find out where it is made, because while most electrical components may be made in Asia, some will be made in the USA and you will have to show the customs officer that when they ask to avoid duty.