Canadians: help me with high definition satellite

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I went to Rat Shack (I was in the mall) and then Visions to get information on HDTV satellite. From what I gather Star Choice has one HDTV channel and Bell Vu has three. The Bell Vu was hooked up to a television set and the guy went through the guide and Seinfeld was the only thing on other than demos. It looked awful. The demo station looked better by more than a bit. He said there are lots of movies and some of them are PPV.
    Please let me know which dish you have and what you think of it. The HDTV station(s) is pretty much all I am interested in. How much should I pay for a dish? Are the movies 5.1 and anamorphic?
    jeremy

2. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

Bell expressvu is the better way to go in my opinion. Go to there web site www.expressvu.ca and www.starchoice.ca and look at the programming being offered.
    Bell has a smaller dish one set top box starchoice has two stb.
    Movies are shown dolby digital 5.1 and original aspect ratio on HDTV'There is also an up convert built into the 6000 receiver. I looked at both of them and I though ma bell was the way to go. One additional item Bell costs 12.00 a month for HDTV and basic 30 canadian channels. The initial costs for the stb is cheaper with Bell.
    Bell delivers a superb picture

3. James FT

One thing I forgot to mention if you were watching Seinfeld that was probably fox and that is 480p garbage quality. CBS is the leader in HDTV and ABC follows. NBC is almost non existent with two programs ER and Lenno.The Expresview feed originates with ther Boston Stations and Star choice is Detroit.
    Very little is shown from NBC I un clear whether the Boston NBC station is capable of HDTV.Hope this helps

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

In terms of actual HD content, both providers are virtually identical. Star Choice has NBC (Tonight Show and more to come this fall) and PBS which has some really great material. ExpressVu has FOX (no HD anyway) and the odd PPV movie. Also, most people agree that the quality on Star Choice is better since ExpressVu is cramming 2 HD channels onto one transponder.
    Star Choice's hardware may be less 'slick', but it gets the job done.
    In terms of overall capacity, Star Choice has the advantage as they are currently using 2 satellites (Anik E2 and F1) and have the capability of using up to 4 with the current elliptical dish. Anik F2 is scheduled to launch sometime next year to replace E2.
    ------------------

5. Jeremy Illingworth

I was hoping that there would be a clean winner.
    Are all the movies listed on the ExpressVu site free or are they just not saying which are PPV?
    All the shows listed on the Star Choice site are eastern time. Do they have a western feed?
    I see the Sopranos! Are there other HBO shows? What season are they on right now?
    Do you normally get about one movie a night? Are the enhanced for 16x9 tvs?
    jeremy

6. James FT

Its your move. Its like buying a Chevy or a ford. I would suggest that you go the respective web site and look what programming is available. Select the HDTV section. I do not know if Big G has starchoice in his house or his business.
    Bell: smaller dish.1 set top box cheaper to purchase,more hdtv programming.
    Yes there is a western movie network super channel we in the east get TMN and I believe it operates on PDTime. They show the odd HD movie free on Bell.
    There are pay per vu movies HD not a great selection and they tend to show it over and over again,present fair is Traffic
    If you follow this group closely you will see that college football starts in September on CBS sponsored by Sears and Samsung.
    There is more programming coming on and as the new fall season progresses with CBS ABC NBC I have never seen PBS except for some demo loops
    So its your move,make an informed decision. There is an other option Dishnet and direct TV but the equipment is expensive$2,000.00 Canadian. I researched this at length and chose Bell over starchoice which was my initial choice.
    You never told me what set you are buying but I hope it is a 16by 9 screen which is the HD standard
    If you wait till September Toshiba is bringing a whole new line up out go to their website www.toshiba.ca they have a comparison chart 2001 and 2002 models

7. Jeremy Illingworth

I already have a Toshiba 40H80. That's why I'm thinking about getting a dish, just for the HD content. I went to both web sites and content seems very similar. The hardware seems very expensive. At Futile Shop it's about $900 for Star Choice. Is that's as cheap as it comes, I'll wait for the price to drop. My only two replies have been from two different people each happy with opposite systems. I was hoping that thirty people would reply with twenty eight of them happy with the same one. I'll probably just wait.
    jeremy

8. Bruce Leonard

Jeremy:
    It's tough trying to get on the leading edge of technology eh!!!
    I've been looking at Sat dishes since I got my Toshiba 61" last year and am still confused about what you will actually get for all the bother of switching.
    I just heard from my cable company that they will intro HD starting this fall and are looking for some guinea pigs to sign up for early testing. Needless to say, I put my name on the list.
    Hoping to get a few months FREE trial so I can decide which route to take or whether this whole HD thing is worth the trouble at this time.
    I hope another 28 or so members send you their opinions before long.
    Good Luck
    Bruce
    ------------------

9. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Jeremy,
    I've been doing the same thing as you. I've been looking at both satellite companies for an HDTV solution and I've come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is wait.
    With the limited amount of programming that either offers it isn't worth your while right now and ultimately the receivers will get better and cheaper so my advice is to keep your eyes open and wait.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Jeremy, try mousing over to the discussion groups at http://www.kusat.com. That is probably the most active site for Canadian DTH.
    Heck, I thought my other post was pretty neutral! For the record, I've had a Star Choice system at home since they launced and I sell them in the store (there's a Bell World up the hall, so no ExpressVu here).
    My only other comment is to James regarding the smaller dish. Sure it's smaller, but it can only pick up one satellite too! Star Choice's elliptical dish can pick up signals from 4 orbital slots and they are currently using 2 satellites. ExpressVu has announced a second satellite, but because of the distance between them, you'll either need a bigger elliptical dish than Star Choice is using, or you'll need two seperate dishes.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

11. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

I was a starchoice customer for over a year and two months ago changed over to BEV. I was qutite happy with Starchoice but I changed over mainly for two reasons. The programming packages are more flexible with BEV. Specifically, I wanted just the superstations(WPIX, KTLA etc.) without the whole movie package for $20. I couldn't do it with Starchoice but could with BEV for $4.95. However, things have changed now. The other reason was that in addition to the 401 navigo receiver I had to have a HDD 200 HD receiver supplement to get HDTV. With BEV I could get it just with 6000 receiver which sells for less than the HDD 200. 18" dish is also easier to work with but as mentioned in the earlier post, there are advantages to the new elliptical dish by Starchoice.(I got into Starchoice much before those dishes were avaialable).

12. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Motorola says there's a new model of the High Definition Decoder coming out late this month. So far though, no details and no pricing.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

13. Dakota_D

Dakota_D Extra

All I can recommend is, if you have the money and you want to see a truly amazing picture, hdtv broadcasts are the way to go. Just wish there was more programming available in Canada.
    I have the BEV System with a 6000 receiver and it works beautifully. The HDTV picture is so clear it's like being in the movie/show. Gladiator/Traffic/Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Family Law, Yes, Dear, etc. I even got my fiance into it, by watching The Young and the Restless with her. She was blown away by the quality of the picture. Well worth the investment. Can't wait till more programming this fall.
    Does anyone know where you can find out the hdtv programming for the BEV system? Their monthly magazine does not seem to list this. Hopefully if we voice our opinions there will be more programming to come. It would be amazing to see some NHL Hockey broadcasts in HDTV?
    Maybe we should get the CBC to do this? hehehe
    If anyone knows about hdtv programming listings for the BEV system that would be great. The BEV web site only lists a few days at a time. I want to know about NFL Football as well. Everyone should check out the quality of hdtv (not to be confused with dtv or digital) broadcasts, they are clearer than DVDs... truly a must see.