What's new

Canadians: Free DVDs in Cereals (1 Viewer)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I finally picked up the Thief and the Cobbler and in my search to find some DVD cover art I found out that it doesn't exist on DVD as of yet so where this DVD came from I have no idea. The VHS tape isn't even released yet.
Then I started to find out about the weird history of this animated movie. Hard to believe it started out in 1968 and was altered and finally released in 1995. It sure is a bizarre story.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The Theif and the Cobbler is a 2.40:1 film. The DVD isn't widescreen, is it? Has there ever been a widescreen release outside of the theater?

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
The Thief & The Cobbler DVD is P&S.
Even though the video-generated on-screen titles says "The Thief & The Cobbler", this DVD is actually the theatrically released "Arabian Knight" version.
I finally picked up the Thief and the Cobbler and in my search to find some DVD cover art I found out that it doesn't exist on DVD as of yet so where this DVD came from I have no idea.
Canada is quite capable of manufacturing their own DVDs, thank you!
------------------
Link Removed

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Has there ever been a widescreen release of this film? On VHS? Laserdisc? Foreign DVD? Anything?

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Bill, I hope your were kidding because I'm well aware that Canada can produce its own DVD's. Just take a look at where I'm from buddy.
What I was trying to say was at least with the other three DVD's available via cereal boxes they were commercially available DVD's whereas this one is not available any other way but through a cereal box and not even on VHS yet from what I saw.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
What I was trying to say was at least with the other three DVD's available via cereal boxes they were commercially available DVD's whereas this one is not available any other way but through a cereal box and not even on VHS yet from what I saw.
It's a Kellogg's exclusive, it doesn't have to be commercially available in order for someone to give it away for free.
Likewise, Netflix had a DVD exlusive of the film "Croupier" before that was commercially available. There are other examples.
------------------
Link Removed

Yes! Went to Costco in Victoria and the Sample Lady was giving out these free DVD cereal taste samples. So I ask her for the DVD's and she said she didn't have a DVD player so I could have them. Cool!

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Des,
Lucky duck, I had to buy Frosted Mini Wheats to get Air Bud on DVD....not a bad deal considering I get some kickass cereal to what looks like a garbage VHS element transfer.
This is an interesting promotion that seems to appeal more to adults and DVD collectors than it has kids. I just wish the Thief and Cobbler disc was not in Froot Loops. I'll feed those to the birds.
laugh.gif

Jason - Fellow Sidney Alumnus. :)
------------------
Link Removed
[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 I Am Jack's DVD List
"After about five minutes of this movie, you're going to wish you had ten beers." Ghost World
My Own Film Review Website Coming Soon!

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
I think there's a reason "The Thief and the Cobbler" hasn't been realeased before...
You've gat to wonder about how they got those actors to sell their voices to that kind of... I can't even think of a word that accuratly describes it.
Maybe they got them all drunk and pretended it was a joke?

DannyS

Second Unit
I've been doing some research on the thief and the cobbler, and I have to admit it sounds like an amazing story and one which could make a fantatsic documentary. This movie, or what it was meant to be.. NEEDS TO BE SEEN!
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
My copies of "Babar, King of the Elephants" and "Thief and the Cobbler" just arrived in the mail (from a Canadian friend), and I was rather surprised at the quality of these two DVDs -- especially considering they were found in cereal boxes.
To reiterate what was said here before, these two discs are bare bones releases, with audio in both English and French, and no subtitles. "Babar" is full-frame as produced, but "Thief and the Cobbler" is a pan & scan version of the 2.35:1 original. And to reconfirm what Bill McA stated, "Thief" sure is that 72m "Arabian Nights" Miramax cut with a new video-generated title.
However, there is one little thing that nobody has mentioned yet about these discs -- they both contain Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes!!! Wow...that was definitely an unexpected surprise! Heck, not even the regular retail edition of "Babar" here in the states has a 5.1 mix (nor a French soundtrack).
Great discs and and a great price, too! Well, or as "great" "Thief and the Cobbler" can be in its current state... it'll have to do until Disney finishes its restoration and releases the original version and/or workprint.
Jeff K.
------------------
Jeff Krispow
Former Reviewer
http://www.laserrot.com
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks