Canadians, check out Showcase Action...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobV, Sep 7, 2001.

1. BobV

BobV Second Unit

Around 40 new digital channels were introduced to Canadian satellite and cable today... a great one to check out... Showcase Action, it seems that all the movies played on this channel are going to be uncut, uneditted and all shown in their Original Aspect Ratio. Looks to be a very sweet channel. I would imagine that Showcase Diva (romances/feelgood) will be the same.
    Showcase does it right again.

2. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

What kind of movies are we looking at here?
    ------------------

3. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

these new digital channels were all introduce with absolutely no hooplah
    i have no idea how to get any of them or how much they will cost.
    So far all the channels I've heard of sound very promising tho

4. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

Showcase Action shows action/adventure type movies. Last night they had the Die Hard movies on in glorious widescreen. It's good to see to finally see a movie channel dedicated to showing movies in their OAR.
    Marc.

5. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

For those wondering how to get these new channels:
    Rogers is having a special deal...
    You get all the DMX music channels, the new channels (but not the existing digital channels, ie./ The Game Show Network) for ~30 CDN. Lazy people like me can have the digital box sent out to them via next day purolator for $10 extra (or you can pick it up at a rogers video store)., but you have to do a self install on the box. to have them install the box for you, it's about $60.
    My box is coming on monday. [​IMG]
    EDIT:
    You can preview the new channels until december. you also get one month of tmn.
    (BUT!!! remember, this is Rogers! Home of negative option billing! You have to call to cancel!)
    [Edited last by Gui A on September 08, 2001 at 02:39 PM]

6. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

7. BobV

BobV Second Unit

Actually the new digitals (that were ready) all officially launched on Sept 7th with much hoopla (press releases etc). If you have Star Choice satellite or Bell ExpressVu satellite you could have watch the cool countdowns on some of the channels.
    Most launched at 1:00pm EDT, some at 2:00pm EDT, and some (the Global owned ones) launched at 7:00pm EDT.
    On Star Choice, the Free Preview lasts until Jan 1st, 2002. ON ExpressVu, until Oct 27th. Shaw is 'officially' launching them on Sept 18th. Although in some places across Canada they launched last night. Rogers, I believe, will be launching the 18th as well, although they as well have them playing in some places.
    quote: I wish I could afford more than Basic cable right now[/quote]
    Right now you can get satellite for a 'net' of around 100 bucks with free installation. Save yer money. Alot of these new channels may be worth it.
    Back to the subject at hand though, DieHard2 played again today and it was P&S... I hope OAR wasn't just first day hoopla and they continue with it.
    [Edited last by BobV on September 08, 2001 at 04:06 PM]

8. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Unfortunately, Die Hard in widescreen might have simply been an accident. The same version was shown on the Montreal CTV affiliate CFCF-12 over a month ago along with Romancing The Stone at about the same time. I sent an e-mail to CFCF asking if this was a new programming policy, and they sent me a non-answer. I also sent an e-mail to Showcase last week about their widescreen policy if any, and haven't received an answer yet.
    Then again, maybe these major stations have e-mail addresses for decoration purposes only. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Milnoc
    News, Views, DVD Reviews.

9. BobV

BobV Second Unit

10. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

SexTV is also another one of the good new channels. [​IMG]

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  12. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Bob, don't know if you get Movie Central, but they show all the trailers in OAR, yet 1% of the movies are broadcast that way.

13. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson Stunt Coordinator

That's strange, I was watching Showcase Action & Diva occasionally for the past couple of days, but all I caught were full-screen movies with commercials. "Weekend At Bernies" comes to mind.