What's new

Canadians! Best site to shop? (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Warren, I'm just a ways south of you in our home province, near Crow's Nest Pass and Waterton/Glacier...I don't want to be discouraging, but after many years of collecting, I have yet to find my way to any sizable discounts on Criterion and WAC Blu-rays...as you know, they are rarely discounted, but if you watch Amazon.ca like a hawk, checking prices every day on desired items, you will find that Criterion release can fluctuate by up to 20% over the course of a week...due to the unfathomable, automated pricing algorithms that float the price up and down that range of 10-20%. It seems to be completely random in effect, so you need to check daily.

Warner Archive Blu-ray releases are almost impossible to get at much of a discount. I'm a Prime member, of course, and I often just bite the bullet on Amazon's Canadian dollar prices ($26-$29), at least knowing that the shipping won't add to it, and I'll have it in my hands in 2 days... Multi-disc Blu sets, like the recently released Jonny Quest, seem to be priced much more competitively with their US price counterpoint, adjusting for our exchange rate. I got Jonny Quest for virtually the same price as our American friends did. As I said, it seems the new WAC releases are priced better than the older back catalog titles. So far, I haven't found any lack of availability for WAC product on Amazon.ca, unlike what I see posted by our American members about stateside Amazon not stocking them in some apparent dispute with Warner.

For KL Blus, I find Amazon.ca pricing very competitive for new releases. And KL product also fluctuates up to 20% over one week to the next. For back catalog, I sometimes buy direct from KL during their sales...

For Warner Archive DVD releases, I just about always order from Import CD via their Amazon Marketplace offerings, which are extensive, pretty much the whole WAC back catalog with excellent availability...prices for the WAC DVDs from Import CD are very nicely priced in Canadian dollars on Amazon.ca...many of the single disc DVDs selling for around $12 Canadian...multi disc TV sets from $25-$50 Canadian...the only drawback is that Import CD only offers the one (slow) shipping speed, but that's cheap at $3.49 Canadian. I usually get my orders from them in 2 to 3 weeks. They're great and I've never had a problem with anything from the many orders I've given them over the years. Sometimes their Criterion pricing is good too.

Don't hesitate to always check for available used items from Amazon Marketplace dealers...there are some great and reliable dealers on Amazon.ca,.com.uk,au, etc. I've gotten sweet deals on used Criterions, WAC and even Twilight Time Blu-rays from used dealers...one of my favorites is Decluttr store on Amazon...I was shocked and pleased to get out of print TT Blus for $16 American...OOP TV box sets for great prices too...but once again you have to check on a daily basis, as their available items come and go at a furious rate...

As an Eskimo fan, you must have hated last week's back to back whippings by my Stampeders, ha, ha...

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Has anyone tried wowhd.ca? Looks like their prices are comparable or better than Amazon, and they offer free shipping. I think they're based in the US, so orders may be subject to import fees, but I've rarely had to deal with those from other international sellers.

They have the 4K Apocalypse Now for $32.30 (CDN), so I might give it a shot.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Has anyone tried wowhd.ca? Looks like their prices are comparable or better than Amazon, and they offer free shipping. I think they're based in the US, so orders may be subject to import fees, but I've rarely had to deal with those from other international sellers.

They are an international branch of Deep Discount. many Uk and AUS posters order from them regularly. Prices can be pretty good esp with sales and esp of items like WAC that aren't always available in some countries -- I think Amazon.ca just started carrying a large number.

There is something about shipping at least from the UK I'm not 100% clear on -- I think WowHDUK ships in some way that appears is UK based so in addition to FS, it avoids certain Postal pickup fees/import fees (not the same as VAT), but I think they do add the VAT to your orders at submission. I think some of your Post do the same thing -- there is a normal GST/HST that is charged, but then there is sometimes an extra charge for pickup (Handling, Import, ??) from some agencies.

I can't go all the way through checkout to see if there is something extra added at checkout, but at least up to the last page I'm just seeing the regular price and FS

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

thanks!!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Welp, I just ordered The Circus, and it only charged me the base prioce listed. No shipping, no GST, not HST (My province has no sales tax), so we'll see what happens. I don't remember this site, but I already had an account set up with them. :huh:

I'll post when I get the Disc.

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
I've had about a dozen orders from wowhd.ca shipped to Canada, and the listed price is what I've been charged. There hasn't been any additional charges. Free shipping, no import fees, and no taxes.

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
Great news!

What part of Canada are you from?
I live in Brandon Manitoba.

Here is an amusing story about where the hell is Manitoba. I was in a men's clothing store in a shopping mall in Los Angeles buying a jacket. The clerk asked me where I was from because he said I had an accent. I wasn't aware that I had an accent, and it was the first time anyone had said that to me. I was pretty sure he wouldn't know where Manitoba was, so I told him I lived in Canada in a province just north of the state of North Dakota. Well he had never heard of North Dakota and had no idea where the state was. I love California and San Diego is my favourite place to visit (I have family there), but they sure don't know anything about Canada.

Last edited:

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I have used both DeepDiscount and Import CDs. Depends who is having a sale. I usually wait until there are 3 titles I want to order to minimize the shipping costs for each. There is no tax, no import duties. I used to use Amazon, but they don't seem to have a lot of Warners sales anymore and they charge an import fee. After a few months you can get this back, but it is an unnecessary hassle.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll

Here is an amusing story about where the hell is Manitoba. I was in a men's clothing store in a shopping mall in Los Angeles buying a jacket. The clerk asked me where I was from because he said I had an accent. I wasn't aware that I had an accent, and it was the first time anyone had said that to me. I was pretty sure he wouldn't know where Manitoba was, so I told him I lived in Canada in a province just north of the state of North Dakota. Well he had never heard of North Dakota and had no idea where the state was. I love California and San Diego is my favourite place to visit (I have family there), but they sure don't know anything about Canada.
Just a comment not to be added to: With the state of things in the USA, I am really happy that many there know nothing of Canada. I grew up in Windsor which is 3/4 of a mile across the river from Detroit. I used to be offended by the weather map used by the US TV station. It was completely blank above the 49th// and the Great Lakes. I am not offended now.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

I’ve been to Brandon. Nice little city!

Once THE CIRCUS ships, I’ll be counting the days on shipping. I hope it come in decent time. I’ve never used WOWHD before.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I love California and San Diego is my favourite place to visit (I have family there), but they sure don't know anything about Canada.

I don't blame them for not knowing about Canada, because some of them don't even know much about the State they live in. I was in Anaheim one year and asked the hotel clerk for directions to a destination in Los Angeles that would avoid a lot of traffic. She said she couldn't tell me because she had never been out of Anaheim.

The cities are so big there that a person could literally live out their life and never have to leave an area because every need can be met in their immediate geographical area. I mean, after all, the population of California alone is 2.5 million people greater than all of Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks