What's new

Canadians-Any luck with used discs from Rogers Video? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I was just in our Local Rogers store, and the used DVD selection and prices were actually very good. Things like AI for $12.99 etc. My question though-has anyone had any luck with these discs? The things I'm most concerned about:
Do they use any sort of stickers on the discs themselves. I won't buy anything from Blockbuster because of those disc shield stickers.
What has the condition of the discs been in general. I'm a little worried that the average person might not know how to take care of a DVD, and have had problems with skipping rental discs before due to damage.

Stevie O

Agent
Chris,

I buy used DVDs from Rogers regularly - only complaint I have is with the price sticker on the case, it is a pain to remove.

Best thing I have found is a SMALL amount of paint thinner, then use something like Mr Clean to get rid off the smell

None of the ones I have bought (10 so far) have had anything on the disc itself, just the case

Steve

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I bought two discs from Rogers once, the discs themselves were immaculate, but there was a sticker on one of the boxes though. It was easily removed with some WD40.

Good deals if you can get them well-maintained. Be sure to get a look at the discs before you buy them.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Hit or miss on a disc's condition. I've had some that were practically new, others were badly scratched, but played fine.

BTW, currently, Rogers has a book of coupons (their summer promotion) for CDN$22 plus taxes. The booklet includes nine (9) $2 off PV DVD titles (min price on eligible DVD is $12.99). Most or all coupons are valid until Sept 30th. The booklet includes 1 free new release movie rental for each month, May-Sept, 5 free kids' movie rentals, a bunch of 2 for 1 7-day rentals and various game rentals. Excellent deal IMO.

Dave

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
I regularly buy PV DVDs from Rogers. Most of the discs are in like-new conditions, but sometimes you do get some discs that are badly scratched, especially lately.

You can get a little bottle of Goo-Gone or Goo-Off from Home Depot, and it will take off any sticker easily, even permanent markers on the disc itself such as those from Blockbusters.

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
Rogers guarantees their used DVDs for 2 weeks. So if you have any problems, you can just take them back. I have had no problems with the dozen or so I have bought from them.

Chris M

Second Unit
I've bought quite a few discs from Rogers video now, including just recently: 13 Ghosts for $16.99 (max price I'd actually pay for it) and Moulin Rouge for $14.99. Both had marks on the packaging, but for those prices I can look beyond the scratches :)
The other discs I've bought have been fine! With the 14 day guarantee it's all good!
Chris.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the only problem there is that you actually have to make sure to watch it in the first 2 weeks. I used to be good at this, but there are discs that I've had for months that I still haven't gotten around to watching. The record-I still have one of the discs in the Oliver Stone collection that I haven't seen-and I got that on release day (over a year ago at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks