What's new

Canadians and suppliers like Parts Express and Madisound (1 Viewer)

Kevin Kloet

Agent
Need to pick up a bunch of components...
How much of a premium can I expect to pay to have it shipped directly to me?
Just want to get an idea, I'm on an incredibly tight budget (university) but there's a couple of projects I need to finish.
Thanks.

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
It all depends on who you use for shipping. UPS will charge quite a bit for broker fee (hidden). My order from Parts Express about $300.00US was charged about $100.00CAD by UPS fees, GST, and PST.
FedExp is better because at least they don't have hidden cost.
Cheapest is USPS, but you get what you paid for. My last order from Parts Express via USPS was fine though.
Good Luck.
------------------

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Avoid Solen since they charge a premium for the same things you can get cheap at madisound etc. I've ordered several things and like th poster said above if you can avoid UPS you'll save a lot on brokerage fees. For things like input cups though you should be able to find them locally at a resonable price. For drivers though you have to go to the US. The neatest trick is to have them sent to a friend in the US and have them send them to you marked as a gift and you won't have to pay duty on them as long as they are valued under $60cdn (I think its $60 on a gift?)
------------------
The Pratt Home Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks