Canadians: A Curious Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

In this NAFTA era, I've wondered why many Canadians here say they are looking for purchases in-country, even for lower cost items such as an AVIA disc.

Are there still customs/tariffs or paperwork that discourage cross-border U.S. mailorders?

Just curious.

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

We get to pay sales tax on anything ordered from out of country.

3. Darren Crouse

Darren Crouse Stunt Coordinator

I find that in most cases our DVD's and CD's are often cheaper than the US. But some specialized items, ie, Avia and some Criterion titles are quite expensive, probably because they don't order in as many. But we sometimes, read that often, have to pay duty and taxes. Hope that helps.

-Thanks,

Darren.

4. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

The only time you don't pay PST/GST is if you are in the US for a period time, minimum 48 hours, then you have a duty-free amount you can bring back. Otherwise, if made in the USA, you pay tax, if not made in the USA, you get to pay duty and tax.
    I find that for Japanese made electronics equipment, there are some very minor savings, but the benefits of warrantee service could be lost, or very inconvenient. Canadian made speakers and electronics are way cheaper in Canada though.
    It is also very convenient to live beside the US border and have US mailing addresses though. [​IMG]

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Conversion on a 62 cent dollar also really hurts. When you add in the GST, shipping, brokerage/duty and the conversion, the seemingly great price disappears.

For Canadian speakers and electronics we generally pay the same number value (sometimes even less), but in CDN dollars instead of US ones.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, the exchange rate really hurts.. and also the shipping is usually more expensive on specialized items from smaller sellers.
    Butthere are alot of bargains online not available to canada... im thankful i got a mailbox in the US i can send stuff to [​IMG]

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

8. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Yes, Andrew, being dead beside the border really sucks [​IMG]

9. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Even with the exchange rate the way it is,I'm still considering purchasing a set of DefTech BPX's from the states when I go their in July.Here's the breakdown:

Canada DefTech BPX

737.50 each

$1475. pair

7% tax

$1578.25 total

US DefTech BPX

450. USD each

900. USD pair

-10% in-store special

810. USD = 1286CDN...savings of 276.CDN

The 7%tax is from a dealer in Alberta.We can't get DefTech here in the Maritimes anymore and the closest dealer is Montreal.The US price is from a dealer in Massachusetts and does not include shipping,duties(which their should be none) brokerage fees,or Provincial and Federal Taxes.I will be in Mass in July so I plan on bringing them back myself.I can declare up to,I believe, $300.USD before paying anything.