What's new

Canadian wants to work in the U.S. (1 Viewer)

James Slade

Second Unit
Of course as a Canadian I want to work in the U.S. I mean why not? Seems to me I can make the same amount of dollars in the U.S. as in Canada, only they are actually worth a dollar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This hobby DIY is easier in the U.S. shipping stuff across the border is nuts!!!!!!

So here is the problem, it is technically illegal to visit the U.S. as a tourist and look for work. Not a big deal. U.S. companies don't seem to realize how easily it is to hire Canadians. For a person like me with an engineering degree I think it costs like $56 dollars a year for a TN1 visa. I realize a lot of Americans are also out of work right now and they also need jobs, but a lot of Americans for some weird reason work in Canada and visa versa, I mean the way I see it we are all North Americans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are your thoughts? And how the hell does one find a job thousands of miles away from there home? Please don't say monster.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Where in the US do you want to work? I'd figure that out first, then use the internet and newspapers to locate potential employers.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I suggest you contact an immigration lawyer (in the US).

I've checked into it and it's virtually impossible for a Canadian to get a green card or be allowed to legally work in the US. If you can make a case that you have some sort of special skill and will be taking a position that cannot reasonably be expected to be filled by a US citizen, then you may have a shot.

Although, and no offense is intended, engineers are a dime a dozen.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
James,

For you to get a TN visa you have to be sponsored by a US employer. You can't just apply for one and look for work. And, the wording of the visa application is very specific. I had a consulting placement just across the border here for 7 months. I worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers and they had an immigration lawyer work on my visa and I still had to go down twice and was almost refused the visa.

But, if your looking for work you need to search out the big technical headhunters down in the states. That would be my suggestion.

Patrick

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
You need a lawyer first definitely. It takes quite a while to get a work visa. A friend of mine got sponsered by the houston school district, but it still took a long time to get all the paper work settled.
You can't just up and decide you want to move and work here...its not that easy :)

Michael Silla

Second Unit
"You can't just up and decide you want to move and work here...its not that easy"

No it isn't. But it is not that hard either. Whether you will have difficulty really depends on what type of work you are looking for.

Go to your local Immigration office, pick up a copy of the NAFTA publication dealing with the job categories and rules applying to TN status visas. If your field of work is listed, by all means start looking for work.

You actually RECEIVING the visa depends on whether you have a valid job offer or not. That, proof of Canadian citizenship and education plus a letter certifying that you have employment for no greater than one (1) year will get you in.

It really is that simple. Absolutely no lawyer is required for this. Just $56 dollars as previously mentioned. If you want a different type of visa (or a green card for that matter) you better break out the wallet for a lawyer.

Michael.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
A lot of Windsor residents get to have their cake and eat it too, so to speak. Many employees where I work live across the creek and work in the U.S. No engineers, though. They're in health care positions that are very hard to staff.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My US girlfriend tried to get a visa to work in Canada, and was told to forget it, despite a university degree and good credentials. Unless you have an unusual skill and have a sponsor in place, you'll have a tough time. You will require a lawyer, at least to see if you qualify to write the entrance forms, which you pay to fill out whether your application is accepted or not.

James Slade

Second Unit
I hav recently been offered an offer letter to use at the border to get a TN1 visa for a year, from a friend even though I have no job. I don't think I could use it though to dishonest for me. Jesus I wish things were easier.

Anyone else ever done anything crazy like use a phony offer letter, or anything else creative!!!!!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Creative? It's called 'illegal'. Some of us had to work hard to get our bits of paper that let us live here legally.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Brian's right, its not creative its illegal and one thing you don't want to do is piss off a customs agent. Mess with them and next thing you know your banned from entering the USA for 2 years. Don't laugh. I know of someone its happened to. Argued with an agent at the airport and bingo, two year ban.

Patrick

James Slade

Second Unit
I don't want to do anything illegal, not my sort of thing. I was just asking if anyone has had to do or thought of doing anything that isn't typical, but still is/was legal.

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
First find a job. If you plan on just border hopping every day it's not that hard to get a TN. I work for a hospital in the IT area and we have a bunch of Canadian folks working here in both medial and IT positions. One of them happens to be a friend of mine. He has had absolutely no problems with his TN nor it's renewals. The lawyers just print up a new letter for him to take to immigration, he runs there and gets it all taken care of in an afternoon.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I might be one of the lucky few to get a chance to work in the US. I asked the BA at my union hall this very question and through the International Union I could get a job in the US. There needs to be the demand for the skill( I work in a trade) and providing everything checks out I could be there working in a short period of time. I'm not sure about the costs on my part but I think they would be quite minimal since its through the union.

I will be looking more into this in the future and am hoping to actually go overseas.

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
Just a word of warning on being "creative." My girlfriend is from Argentina and eventually we would like to make things permanent, so I've consulted with an Immigration Attorney. He told me a story about another girl from Argentina, who lied about employment in order to obtain a visa. She got to the U.S., fell in love with a guy, and got married. The problem started when INS discovered her previous lie. Now, even though she is married to a U.S. citizen, she is barred from the country, and they are having to spend much money, time, and effort trying to get the INS to change its position.

Of course, if she was a dead terrorist trying to get a student visa, things might be different...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks