Canadian wants to build DIY sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulDF, Sep 12, 2002.

1. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

I am kind of a bass-head, so my current little sub is not enough for me. It is 10" and 150 watts. I don't have a large amount to spend so I thought building my own would be the best idea for me. Problem is, I only can afford about $400-$500 before my wife finds out and strangles me. (She is fully contented listening to a clock radio - seriously). I would like at least 250 watts. I use my system for approx 70% music and 30% movies. Box size is not really an issue. Also my basement rec room tends to be a black hole for bass. As I said, I live in Canada, can anyone point me in the right direction? Should I order from the states, or are there reputable Canadian companies that can supply me? Should I keep my smaller sub in use as well?? Thanks.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Ditch the old sub. You can check out the DIY section of my website for a Canadian building two different DIY subs ordering from the States (I have complete cost break downs there, although I could probably do the Tempest for $100 less knowing what I know now).
    Is this $400-$500 USD or CDN?
    If it's USD I'd recommend something similar to the Tempest I built. If it's CDN I'd recommend something similar to the Dayton DVC12" I built.
    Here is a link to a Canadian Adire dealer:
    http://www.creativesound.ca/
    And if you are going to order stuff from the States I'd recommend going through Kyle at Acoustic Visions:
    http://www.acoustic-visions.com/

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Yup I agree with Dustin. What I'd do with that budget is buy a tempest, build a simple box (or tube) and then use a cheap pro amp, used stereo amp or an old stereo receiver to power it.

4. Bob Reimer

Bob Reimer Agent

I just lowered the pricing on Shiva and Tempest drivers to celebrate my move to BC.

Cheers
    Bob

5. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

6. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Thanks guys. I have a few more questions though... I have an old Pioneer 100 watt prologic receiver I could use. BUT, I tried it briefly with an old 10" 4 ohm sub in a small box I had laying around, and the amp cut out periodically after half volume. Maybe this amp won't work for 4 ohm?? Another question... If I need to ditch my old sub, can't I use the amp out of it? Its BASH 150 watts, if BASH really means anything (though have no info on the impedence parameters). Could I replace the old driver with a Shiva or Tempest? Possibly build a new box and driver and the old plate amp? Surely the plate amp will be better than an old 100 watt receiver! I am quite sure the receiver is not bridgable either. And Dustin, I can't seem to find anything on your Dayton. I really like your sonosub though (drooling...). Only in my dreams! Thanks again.

7. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Paul,

I'm no expert, but I'm planning on using an old Pro Logic receiver to power my Tempest once I get it built. I've been told that using one channel of the amp per voice coil will allow the receiver to see an 8 ohm load so there shouldn't be any problems. I don't ever push reference levels, so I'm hoping this will get me by until I can afford a more suited plate amp to power the sub.

Trying to push 4 ohms out of a receiver rated for 8 would probably cause the problems you described.

About using the BASH amp from your old sub, I believe that manufacturers build in boosts to amps they install in their commercial subs so that the freq. response will be as flat as possible. Those boosts will most likely cause unwanted peaks (and nulls, probably) in any other sub.

JKS

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

What Jeremy said is right on the mark.

To use your old prologic receiver you would take the sub preout of your current receiver/processor and split it with a Y adapter. You'd then connect the split ends to the left and right channel inputs on your old receiver. The left speaker ouput would go to one voice coil, the right would go to the other (the individual voice coils of the Tempest, Shiva, Dayton DVC series, etc are all 8ohm). Select the input you ran the sub preout to on your old receiver, set the sub level in the middle on your new receiver, and then use a calibration disc and the volume control on the old receiver to set the sub's level.

Without know what boost, rumble filter, eq etc is built into the amp would be tough to say if it would work well with a DIY sub. Wouldn't hurt to try it though.

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Oh, and I almost forgot. I built an identical pair of Dayton DVC12" based subs. One for a roommate, one for my parents. So I titled the section on them The Twins. Here's the direct link.
    http://dustin.bunnyhug.net/twinstart.php

10. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

But with only 100 watts, it will be louder than my 150 watt sub?? (excursion differences?)

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you use a driver like the Tempest, Shiva or Dayton DVC12" you won't be feeding it 100W with your old receiver. These drivers have two voice coils that can each be hooked up seperately to an amp channel. So you'll be using 2 amp channels therefore feeding 200W into the sub. You'll loose about 1dB over a 250W plateamp doing it this way.

12. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Wow, things are starting to make sense in my simple little mind...[​IMG] How much info will come with the tempest? And also, you guys are saying that If I use both subs together, I risk uncontrollable cancellation or boost of the bass?

13. Bob Reimer

Bob Reimer Agent

The Tempest ships without any info but there is full documentation available on the Adire website.
    Cheers
    Bob
    www.creativesound.ca