Canadian Tax and US Duty Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kerry R, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Kerry R

Kerry R Extra

I'm planning on going into southern Ontario to buy some speakers. I understand that there is a 15% tax in Canada. I have seen references on this board that the taxes are rebated. Can someone explain this to me?

Also, is there a duty to pay on speakers purchased in Canada and brought back into the US?

Thanks

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

3. Kerry R

Kerry R Extra

Evan,

That information makes it a no brainer for me. I'm making the trek to Ontario. I do have two questions regarding the duty free shop. Are there duty free shops at every entrance into the US and are the duty free shops open on Sundays?

Thanks for you help.

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Kerry, unfortunately I cannot answer that for you. I went on a Friday, so I cannot answer about Sundays. I'm not sure every border crossing has a duty free shop, but I'm pretty sure they do. I'm guessing due to the research I did before I went North to get mine. I would suggest you find the US Customs website and check out the info. Wish I could be more help.

5. Robert Woods

Robert Woods Stunt Coordinator

One doesn't need duty-free shops -- provincial taxes etc. are refundable via post thru the Canadian customs system - and can be handled via post from the US at reasonable time limits.

There may be a minimum of 100$ purchase or somethig like that.