Canadian Satellite TV

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chad Ferguson, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Ever since I found out I can not go with American Programming [​IMG] I've been forced to go with what given to me. I was just curious what people prefer. I see the major ones are Bell Vu and Star Choice. I have no plans for HDTV but I would like the system to support Dolby Digital 5.1. If someone could give me their personal experiences and prices even that would be amazing. Thank you. Also, is it smart to buy them from some place like future shop? Cause I see some really cheaply priced ones on Ebay.
    Thank you
    P.S. I could not figure out which forum this topic is under. So I went with the one I did last time, sorry if that was wrong.

2. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Chad,

I found that the Canadian satellite, though not as good as the American satellite as far as programing has most networks and some movie stations. I personally like bell expressview a bit more than starchoice. More involved for setup(have to call in to activate it and the sat is a bit harder to hit the signal) but from what I here is more reliable and doesn't go down in bad weather as much. again that is only what I've heard.

3. GARY C

GARY C Second Unit

You best bet is to look through both companies web sites and see who offers a better choice for you.

ExpressVu

Star Choice

There you can search for info on the equipment, channel line-ups and other services (like HDTV).

For HDTV, I can tell you right now (IMO) it's a 50/50 split. ExpressVu has more channels of HDTV, but their receiver is older (and no one knows when the new one will come out). Star Choice has a new receiver, but less channels.

There are also some channels available on one that are not on the other (goes both ways). Each also has it's own specials, SC features a ton of music channels and radio stations and limited/no sim-subs (substitutions of US commercials and feed with a Canadian one). EV has NHL Centre Ice, but has to black out locals so you don't see some of the free games as you would on SC.

You might also want to check out...

KuSat Forums

...for more info (if you don't mind wading thru some of the mines better than yours crap).

PS - sorry if I shouldn't link external sites admins, please remove the link if so.

4. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Well first off, my main reason for doing this is to get away from Cable and get better movie channels. Well, my Cable Provider has NFL Sunday Ticket which neither of these seem to carry. Movie channels seem to be the same my Cable provider except perhaps, a little bit cheaper. Also, I'm leaning towards Bell Vu just cause I like their movies channels a little more but Star Choice has this reciever that supports both HD and regular so that would help in the upgrading future. I would have went with Star Choice right away if any of those radio channels had Jim Rome(I'm a sucker for the The Jungle). Basically looks like Bell Vu Movie packs and Sport packs. Anyone have anything to add or any advice when buying? Can I self install this thing? Anything else would be great.
    Thank you