Canadian Releases vs. US (better-worse-different?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I have have just recently started looking at releases of movies distributed North of the border to our Canadian friends and have run across some interesting differences.

Is is normal for them to get different versions than the US? One is of course Giant which came out there first a couple years back and was pulled within a few weeks and never got a US release. Another is the 2-disc version of Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner as opposed to the upcoming 1-disc US version which also seems to lack quality besides content. There must be other cases but why, when we are all Region 1 ????

2. RonWilson

RonWilson Extra

The biggest difference I have discovered is the bilingual DVD covers and it's really starting to tick me off.I went out on Tuesday to buy Road To Perdition only to discover that the french title was almost the same size as the english. I'm not anti-french, but why can't distributers print english on one side and french on the other giving people the option of what language to display. Quite often the composition of the cover art is radically changed to fit both titles. I don't mind this on my cereal boxes but don't do it on my Dvd's. Am I over-reacting?

3. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

The 3-disc version of Le Pacte de Loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf) with more extras and an added DTS track comes to mind. Also, there is a 2-episode "Smallville" DVD there that hasn't come out here.

4. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Lost Highway is out in Canada too...not that it matters though since it's P&S.

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I went out on Tuesday to buy Road To Perdition only to discover that the french title was almost the same size as the english.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

The Road to Perdition packaging is particularly bizarre because they advertise reversible french packaging as a "feature". Why bother providing reversible covers if you are going to have french on the "english" side and english on the "french" side. [​IMG] There must be a couple of chimps working in their marketing department or worse, they hired the marketing department from "Dilbert". [​IMG]

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

A lot of Universal titles have reversible inserts with both sides bilingual. Makes no sense to me either.