What's new

Canadian Pianist & Progressive Scan (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Ok, I HAVE to post this as a seperate thread for clarity. I am not the only one wondering about this.

It has been said that the Canadian Pianist CANNOT be viewed using a progressive scan dvd-player. So my question is:
Has SOMEONE tried this??

If I can't play this dvd on my Panasonic RP-91 Dvd-player with progressive enabled, I will return the disc sadened that I do not get to see this film!

I have yet to open with fear of this, please please.... has SOMEONE tried this???

I cannot use interlaced on my display, it doesn't work!

Thanks

Jong C

Auditioning
This or any DVD can be played on your progressive scan player. The only caveat is that your progressive player will use a deinterlacing algorythm called "Bob" rather than "Weave". Bob deinterlacing algorythm creates progressive frames of a picture by blending in 2 adjacent interlaced frames. This results in pictures that are soft or blurry during motion sequences. When there is no motion, the images will be almost as good as film-sourced DVDs. With film-sourced DVDs, the progressive player will deinterlace using "Weave" algorythm. This creates progressive frames by weaving together 2 adjacent interlaced frames and recreates the original frame from the movie. The advantage is that the movie will have that sharp film look all the time. You can force a "Weave" mode on interlaced (video based, like this Canadian Piano) transfer on some progressive players. This will result in severe combing artifact on scenes with motion, but will play nearly normally on steady scenes. That is one way in which you can tell if a DVD was encoded from a video source or film source. All this is moot if you are using a interlaced TV or DVD player (like 90% of the viewing public), because none of this matter and that is why so many studios still get away with suboptimal transfers.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Jong, very good explaination, this is what I was "assuming" that it would work as video not film. I can set the type of scaling based on flag,video,film on my player (Panasonic RP-91). I have yet to see it do anything "funny" it seems to do a great job of all discs so far.

Guy, thanks for checking that.

Paul, although that seems logical (I guess) that would be another $5+tax "wasted". I knew the answer would come out eventually.

Thanks, hopefully I will enjoy this movie this weekend!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I watched the Canadian version on my RP-91 last night in progressive mode without any problems. While the transfer was not pristine (it looked soft at times, probably due to the ghosting shown in the screen shots earlier in this thread), it was not as bad as I expected from all the reports in the other post. The transfer was very "watchable".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks