Canadian online price comparison

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Dec 12, 2001.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Does anyone know where i can go to compare prices on products in Canada, I would like to be able to search online so that I can go inot local stores and try to talk them down a little bit on their price by saying I can get a Better price at store X who will deliver it.

So far all the price comparison sites i have seen havce either been american, or very general and dont have the products i want listed.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I found in a recent search of Canadian manufacturers (Anthem, Classe, Paradigm), that the only way to go about doing it was to go to the websites of the various products in question, click on the dealer links they provide, then pick up the phone and ask about what they are listing their products for. Many dealers will not be able to quote you their "best" price over the phone but some will be able to give you a working range. At least that way you can go into your local dealer and say "I can get product X for $$$, can you beat that."

I know that's not much help...but that was the only way I could go about doing it from my experience.

3. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

It's tough for the Canadian retailers to do that sort of thing. Many of the manufacturer's and distributors won't let stores market outside of the area they define for each dealer, else forfeit their dealership. They put it right in to the dealer agreement. Some suppliers will actually fine a dealer for marketing outside their alloted zone.

I have tried for the last five years to offer a full selection on our shop's website but it's always a case of one step forward, two steps back. That's why price lists appear but then only disappear on our site.

It seems to be changing now somewhat though; the more forward thinking companies allow global marketing, giving the client the freedom of choosing where to send their business. Hopefully, one day they will all embrace the 'net.

Some of the big chain stores are going right ahead with ecommerce anyway; I guess they are big enough that the supplier really doesn't have a choice but the smaller shops don't have the same kind of clout as the big guns and fear losing their dealerships.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Nice to see you posting Mark

5. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Thanks, Andrew.
    I really like this forum. Even an old fogey like me can still learn alot [​IMG]

6. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Hi Marc, almost didn't recognize you. It's great to see you contributing here! I know we are all appreciating your efforts. (although I've got shipping and 8% PST working against me, being here in AB!)

I hope you are right and that some of the big guns in the industry start changing their distribution paradigms (no pun intended) and allow internet sales. Given my choice of shops in the Calgary area, I know where I'd put my money, if given the chance.

7. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

John, try this: www.audiotronic.ca . Also known as Dumoulin, I believe the Wacky Wheatley stores on the east coast are part of this outfit. Cheers!
    DS.

8. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Thanks got all the information guys..... I guess i might just have to stick with local pricing, not as much of a selection as id like but hey thats life sometimes.

Cheers