Canadian on line rentals?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Mercer, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

OTher than Rogers.ca is there any other online rental sites that have the same thing as netflicks?

Thanks

2. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

www.zip.ca is an option.

I've never used it, but a few people I know do - and they recommend it.

3. norman j

norman j Agent

I love Zip.ca
    I am a member- you get 4 titles at a time and when you send one back another is mailed. For $24.95 a month.
    They have probably every title you can think of as well, including all TV series.

Norm

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I was wondering the same thing - thanks for asking, and thanks for the answers...I will check them out! I hope they have a decent anime collection...

5. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

VHQ is another option. Only reason I went here instead of zip.ca was vhq is based in Vancouver so I figured shipping would be faster to Alberta.

Mike

6. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

Starflix
    Movies For Me

I haven't tried either of these, so buyer beware...

I've considered doing this kind of thing, but for now I prefer going to one of my local video stores (Videoflicks and Filmfest DVD) and browsing through their titles. Each one has a good selection of old as well as newer indie and foreign titles. I've briefly checked through these online sites (including VHQ and zip.ca) and though the selection is good, they typically miss out some of the titles I'm interested in (as an example Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Seance is nowhere to be found at the online stores, but I just rented it from Filmfest).

I'll probably end up going this route at some point though. I'd be interested to hear how any new users of these services find them.

7. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

I started using VHQ but switched over to zip.ca because zip offers a much larger selection.

Another benefit of zip is that they'll buy a title that they don't have if you request it.

The only downside is that it can take a while to get some of the more popular titles - expect a long wait for the Criterions, for example.

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Looks like someone did an online Canadian rental store comparison here:

http://www.dvdinfo.ca/

I just signed up for zip.ca BTW...I really like their anime collection. Way better than the places locally.

9. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I plan on signing up for Zip as soon as I get a good steady job.

10. IanS

IanS Stunt Coordinator

I have been renting from Zip.CA for the last 3 months and can recommend it very highly. I am averaging 16-20 rentals a month. At $24.95 plus tax, its working out to $1.60 a title. The TV Series they carry are a big bonus.

Ian

11. Bob Turnbull

I take back what I said about Seance not being at zip.ca. It's there. Along with some other less obvious selections I searched for...Good size catalog.

I may have to consider this...

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I just got my 4 discs from Zip yesterday. Since I live in a major city (Calgary), it only took them one day to ship! I picked out my DVDs on Monday, they shipped on Tuesday, and they arrived before I got home on Wednesday. That is pretty amazing.

However, the flimsy envelopes they use for shipping has me worried. The discs were sent to me in one Xpresspost cardboard envelope, but I have to returned them in these paper envelopes that offer absolutely no protection whatsoever. The DVDs are placed in a paper CD sleeve, and then you place that in the envelope.

No wonder 2 of the discs are scratched up a fair bit! I hope Zip considers giving us padded envelopes, otherwise their more popular titles will get smashed, and inconvenience everyone when you have to go through the replacement process - especially for TV show watchers!

Aside from that, the service seems quite impressive. Their anime collection is the best I've seen.

13. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Where do these places ship from? I can never find them on any of their sites.
    VHQ is from Vancouver like MikeH wrote, but does anyone know about the rest of them?

I live on Vancouver island and would like the quickest turn-around possible.

14. norman j

norman j Agent

I think zip's home base is Ottawa, but I think they have reported on their web site they have reduced time it takes to ship. Anyone living far away I would suggest using their free trail to test it out.
    I think I have been a member for about 6 months and have received about 3 or 4 damaged discs, so that does happen but still worth it IMO.
    Once you have been a member for a while they also have something called zip refill where they will ship you a fifth disc if you have reported one being sent back

Norm

15. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

Everything you needed to know about Canadian on-line DVD rentals, but where afraid to ask...go here

Check out the Forums page as well.

16. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Zip.ca ships from Ottawa. Bill's link and the www.dvdinfo.ca link explain a bit on how and where they ship from. Very useful stuff!

17. IanS

IanS Stunt Coordinator

Max,
    Don't expect your next DVD's to come via express parcel. This happened to me also on the very first delivery. All subsequent discs have been shipped regular mail. THis could be different for you as you live far away from Ottawa. The discs generally take 2-3 days to get to me in MTL depending when Zip ships them. Still..overall a very good service and catalog offering.

Ian

18. Bob Turnbull

Oh well...Considering the very large selection (I hope they can fill some of those "On Order" items), I think this will still be a great service.

19. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Ah...so they ship express post to suck the customer in. Very cunning of them. [​IMG]

Well, 2-3 days is still better than the horrible selection near where I live.

I picked out my DVDs at around 2 or 3 pm MST - that would be around 4 pm EST, so it would be too late for the East Coasters to ship that day and arrive the next. [​IMG]

20. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    are there online places that do pay-per-rental like regular video stores?

i dont know how you guys can rent so many DVDs a month... i usually have time for one, maybe two per week.