Canadian made DVDs - yet another reason to AVOID THEM

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
As if the bilingual packaging wasn't bad enough...

I have read that many feature film DVDs released in Canada lack the DTS tracks their American counterparts have because they are dropped in favor of french language audio tracks.

Well....

After picking up the Alliance Atlantis - released "CSI: NY" I found that the commentaries that were supposed to be included (and are included based on this DVDTalk review ) are NOWHERE to be found. I figure they were dropped, like DTS tracks for movies, in favor of a french language stereo track and a USELESS english stereo track.

I suspect that recent releases CSI Miami season 4 and the delayed CSI season 6 will be affected as well. Who knows how many other TV DVDs have this problem?

If you are Canadian, I suggest you add this to the list of reasons NOT to buy Canadian made DVDs. I'll only buy American from now on...Screw you Alliance Atlantis!

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
Try living in Europe.

DVD screw-ups are common, nearly ever Universal TV show I have has the Aspect Ratio incorrectly labeled.

They produce boxes the wrong way around.

We don't get Episode Titles on the DVD, because they couldn't possibly translate them into the 6 languages used in this pathetic continent.

We almost never get decent soundtracks because they're too busy throwing in German tracks.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
While bilingual packaging has never bothered me, Alliance Atlantis has a very shoddy history when it comes to providing Canadian customers with quality DVDs (aspect ratios, extra features, audio tracks, etc.). I'm very happy many Canadian TV series like Corner Gas, Twitch City, Kids in the Hall and Slings and Arrows are not released through AA (and that Acorn Media is taking over Da Vinci's Inquest from AA's mediocre S1 release). I usually order my film DVDs from amazon.com, but since I like a lot of homegrown films, I inevitably have to deal with AA (though thankfully other film distributors are increasing their presence through DVD in Canada). Don't even get me started about Canadian films I have to buy from amazon.com because AA releases full-frame DVDs, i.e. New Waterford Girl, Saddest Music in the World, waydowntown and Kissed).

The only TV on DVD releases AA doesn't screw up are Trailer Park Boys sets.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I'm not one who casually resorts to token labeling of corporations as downright evil as others are prone to on the internet, but I sometimes reserve it for Alliance. Too many good DVD releases have been compromised by Alliance. Oh why do they need to buy out the rights to films, release subpar DVDs, and collect our money none the less? They often paste on unskipable logos at the front (I used to kind of like their logo before it was replaced with the dull trumpet fanfare with a gold logo) in fact I counted about a full minute of unskipable content at the beginning of their Clerks II DVD.

Alliance is also known in some film circles, although I'm not sure if this is true, that they bought out all these Canadian film studios, then spontaneously decided to shut down their film production branch. That leaves CSI as their only in house productions of any significance...and by in house, I mean far away LA California, not Canada. (Not advocating runaway business, but if you're taking our money, at least give some of it back.)

Alliance contributes nothing to the Canadian film and Television market but a bunch of American and international distributions we would get anyhow because of our connection with the U.S. market, and a lot of compromised DVD releases.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
The only Canadian produced DVD I have are Due South seasons, which have to be the strangest/worst packaged DVD sets I own. I think the kicker on that one is putting the pilot movie on season three.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
To add insult to injury (sort of), the Alliance-owned SHOWCASE has started up their HD channel, and is simulcasting widescreen versions of CSI on its SD channel, and here's the kicker:

Unlike the DVDs, Season 1 is in WIDESCREEN!

What happened to the supposed widescreen DVD re-release?

Season 1 looks so f*cking great in wide - both HD and SD. Why are the DVDs substandard compared to the broadcast?

At the very least, this is also true for the American Paramount release of season 1, so everyone suffers with that cropped crap.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sullivan Entertainment's "Road To Avonlea" season sets are missing opening credits and have lackluster picture quality, but are still superior to Disney's botched, over-compressed, edited travesty of season 1

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo