What's new

Canadian LOTR 4 disc version: French track? (1 Viewer)

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Will the Canadian version have an additional french soundtrack, thereby possibly reducing picture quality, or will this release be identical to the Amercan one?

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
My understanding is that the Canadian version will have a French Dolby Surround 2.0 track instead of an English Dolby Surround 2.0 track, but other than that the specs are the same.
Don't know about packaging yet, though....:frowning:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I got in touch with someone in Alliance and he stated that:

- the English 2.0 track would be removed to make room for the French 2.0 track

- the packaging would NOT be bilingual

- the transfer will be identical to the U.S. version

- the release date would be the same as the U.S.

We'll see what happens on release day.

Kami

Screenwriter
Good to hear Marc. I'd hate to see that beautiful package ruined by bilingual text. *shudder*

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I actually have a copy, because a local retailer broke street date and offered a good price -- on the Canadian release.
Indeed, there are the same number of tracks as listed on the U.S. release, with the DD 2.0 track in French instead of English. The outer packaging is not bilingual, but the liner notes and chapter listings inside the package are.
M.
ADDED: Oops. I overlooked the detachable back "panel" that's under plastic wrap and describes the contents of the package. Part of it is bilingual, but it isn't a permanent part of the outer package.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Geezz.. import again. At least, Canadians hae something more, a french track instead of double english tracks.

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
Well, there is one positive thing about the Canadiabn release. The SRP is $34.00 USD while the USA release $39.99 USD so you can find great deals with the Canadian one under $26 USD.

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Aaryn,

just our of curiosity, why do you want to import (I assume from the US)? I found MIchael´s information reassuring.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Well, I'll be importing this one as well.
In this case, the difference between the US/Canadian releases isn't huge, but my main reason is for resale value. I'm 99% sure that the entire LOTR trilogy will be re-released in a couple of years, and I'll want to resell my current set. If it's the bilingual Canadian edition, then I doubt that I'll be able to get as much for it on eBay. Besides, I had an Amazon.com GC, so it brought down the price. :)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
This also appears to be an import to me. What I'm not sure is if Alliance has buggered their logos all over the packaging, inserts and disc art as well. I really wish they'd leave a release like THIS one alone, as it completely ruins the collectability factor.

Jason

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor

From Alliance Atlantis

Actually, just by remaking the packaging, it is no more considered "original", so that's why I'm getting an US version unopened. I already have a CDN edition coming. And that'll be the one i'll open.

Patrice D.

Auditioning
Does somebody know which version Amazon.ca will send? Is it the one from Alliance Atlantis with the French track or the one from New Line?

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Wow. Alliance isn't even adding French subtitles to the extras.

Amazon.ca will most likely send the Alliance version. On some titles, like Pulp Fiction, they'll import the american version, but charge more for it.

I'll wait until I see it before I buy it. I don't like seeing Alliance plaster their logos over everything, to the point where they almost take credit for making the movie/dvd.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. For me, the little Alliance Atlantis logos (including one that plays just before the movie) are an entertaining novelty. :)
Watched the first disc of the movie last night. The added scenes are quite enjoyable.
M.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Wait a minute... that Canadian list doesn't have DTS listed! That is, unless "Dolby Digital" is French for "DTS".

A mistake? Or is the Canadian set really lacking DTS?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Must be a typo. Either that, or I hallucinated the DTS track I listened to last night. :)
M.

Users who are viewing this thread