Canadian DIY speaker makers. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Peddle, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

OK...here is the deal. I have been wanting to build a whole system of DIY speakers for a long time now, but just never got the time and money, or the opportunity (I have a nice Paradigm monitor line setup).
    But I have just sold my Mini monitors (surrounds) online to another member. Basically this gives me the opening to build my own pair. I have looked at the Adire Audio kit 81, but after exchange and taxes are going to come out to over 500 bucks.
    I want to know if there are any good Canadian places online to buy the parts I need to make a two way speaker. I need a site that also sells the parts to build the crossover. I am an Electronic Engineering student and have access to PCB board and film and soldering labs to make the crossover.
    So you can see I am ready to start designing and building, but need a place to get the parts. It doesn't have to be online either. I live in the suburbs of Toronto Ontario. So any other local residents that know store to buy from I would like to know that too.
    Thanks in advance for any information,
    Ryan P
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me.

2. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Anyone....little help?
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I checked out these guys: http://www.mcbrideloudspeaker.com/ in Waterloo, but ended up ordering some odds and ends from Parts Express.
    Even with the exchange, brokerage, etc, it looked like it would still be cheaper to order from PE. My parts should be here any day now, so I guess I'll have my answer soon enough.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I just got a postcard saying that my parcel is waiting at the post office. The total owing is just under $20 on a $250CDN order, so it was definitely cheaper than ordering from McBride.
    Unless of course I get a seperate bill for brokerage and duty!
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph