Canadian availability of Toshiba 42HX81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis_L, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Dennis_L

Dennis_L Auditioning

My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere (a brief search didn't turn up anything) but does anyone know if Toshiba will release the HX model in Canada? Will they delay these until the H series has gained a strong market share before giving consumers a "upgrade" choice?
    I've decided to wait for the new models (over buying a clearance 40H80) but would likely prefer the cinema series's advancements. Any guesses at how much of a premium one will expect to pay for HX81 over H?
    Thanks in advance,
    Dennis

2. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

For info on release dates and prices, try www.nbtelectronics.com
    Be advised that I have NOT purchased anything from this Canadian e-tailer yet. But, someone from nbtelectronics participates at this forum...see Panasonic 47xxx thread.
    Dave

3. Dennis_L

Dennis_L Auditioning

Thanks Dave,
    I've already been to NBTE website and have noted the availability dates for the 50,57, and 65 HX81 series, but the 42HX81 is not mentioned, only the 42H81. I'm specifically interested in this size because of space constraints (I only wish that I could fit the 50" in our family room!). Sorry if my ealier post wasn't clear on this.

4. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Dennis,
    Not to be a wisenheimer or anything, but are you sure such a beast as a 42HX81 exists? I downloaded Tosh's RPTV Pdf. the other day, and while there's plenty of mention of various HX models, there's no listing for a 42HX81. See for yourself, sir. If you know something that I don't, then kindly accept my apolgy in advance. Meantime, I think this little 42-incher might be calling my name. My girlfriend is going to kill me!! Cheers,
    DS.
    ------------------
    "Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"
    Dave's Really Moldy HT Page

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Canada being a smaller market than the US, Toshiba does not make all the model availble here. The 42HX81 is one of them.
    The ETA on the 42H81 is late September/early October.
    ------------------

6. Dennis_L

Dennis_L Auditioning

Thanks for all those who replied.
    Dave S:
    You're correct, I only presumed that there would be an HX series for the 42" without actually verifying it. As I feared, it looks like such a beast does not exist (at least for Canadians!). While it still hasn't changed my mind about waiting for the 42H81 over the current 40H80, I am somewhat disappointed that we won't have the benefit of all the latest Toshiba technologies with this size. What's your feeling about the H vs. the HX issue? Will we be missing that much?
    JohnnyG: thanks for your comment; I'm sure if anyone has the inside scoop on Canadian availability, it would be you. Perhaps I will be in touch with you closer to Sept.-Oct. Do you have any reservations about shipping something all the way to BC (ie. damage/misalignment during transport?)
    Dennis

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Dennis, the 42H81 bests the 42H80 in all respects. The 40H80 used the regular PowerFocus CRTs and the 42H81 is using the PowerFocus HD CRTs that were in last year's larger models. The lenses are also 'new and improved'.
    Shipping to B.C. is not a concern. I believe all the sets in Canada are shipped out of Toshiba's Markham, Ontario warehouse anyway. Also, the transport company I'm using (Same Day) makes very few transfers of the product from truck-to-truck, reducing the amount the product is physically handled. I've also read that this years sets are being crated better. I can verify this if my darn 50H81's ever show up!

8. Will

Will Guest

9. Dennis_L

Dennis_L Auditioning

I think JohnnyG means that Canada will not likely see the 40HX81. It will likely be available in the US (although I don't have any proof of this either).
    Dennis

10. Kevin Roebuck

This is a wasted thread as Tosiba stated in their press release that there would be 3 Cinema Series Widescreen models and there was no 42 inch HX.