Canadian Amelie Limited Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulP, Jul 9, 2002.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

OK, I'm seriously considering purchasing the Canadian Limited Collector's Edition of "Amelie" to go along with my US Special Edition. Damn the French-only thing. I'm just wondering if it's worth it. The box looks beautiful (and I like the cover that says "Le Fabuleaux Destin d'Amelie Poulain" better than just "Amelie"). There is also the question of availability. Maybe someone can provide a link (I went to a few sites and those that had it, had it out-of-stock).

Basically, it comes down to extras. Now I've read that the US Special Edition will have DTS. So if that's true, are there many other extras that are missing from the US version that are in the Canadian box? The box supposedly has "3 hours of interviews", and the short film is missing in the US version.

This is very confusing, I know. I just want to have the ultimate version. I hope the US one will be sufficient.

2. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

There's also the France version.

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

But France is Region 2, no? While Quebec is Region 1.

5. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The R2 Japanese limited edition box set has a scented candle, replica of the spoon from the film, and other neat goodies. Although it sells for around $70.00 U.S.

6. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Yeah, only a Region 1 edition is good for me.

I will buy the US Special Edition for the English commentary and English subtitles, but the Canadian Collector's Edition seems to contain more extras, such as the short film by Jeunet and "outtakes" (I don't think either of these are on the US edition).

7. Eric Sevigny

Eric Sevigny Stunt Coordinator

"such as the short film by Jeunet"
    They couldn't get the rights for the short, so while there is still a link to it in the DVD menus, it doesn't lead anywhere. Another thing to consider : the canadian (TVA) edition isn't flagged progressive, so be warned if you have a player that isn't too good on deinterlacing - that is, if you have a HDTV and care about those things [​IMG]

8. PaulP

PaulP Producer

9. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

The US edition will also have the outtakes. They're listed in the box set edition (in French) as "Fantasies of Audrey Tautao."
    What sold me on the Canadian box is the wealth of non-DVD material included, such as the gnome polaroids, the postcard-like photos, the soundtrack CD, and of course, the little rock. [​IMG]

10. Stephen Fagan

Stephen Fagan Stunt Coordinator

Anybody know a place to purchase the Japanese box set?

11. rutger_s

CD Japan
    From the item description:

12. Pierre Gagne

Pierre Gagne Agent

For those who are considering buying the french canadian special edition of Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulin should have in mind that you'll get two very important items missing from the US release (and english canadian release as well) : the CD soundtrack and the DTS track in French with no english subtitles (there are french subtitles, though). Two french sites (one from Québec and one from France) agrees that the DTS track has the edge, but not by a large margin (better bass and more presence of the surrounds). Of course, this comparaison stands from the DD track on the canadian (or french disc) and not from the DD track on the american release.
    Other goodies include some postcards, the seven polaroids of the Amélie's father dwarf, a small rounded shape flat rock that Amélie uses to throw (in french, it's called "galet") and a small plastic disc made especially for preventing drippings when serving wine (the sponsorship for Amélie in Québec is Les vins de Bordeaux).
    If you are not interested in those goodies and the CD, you can always consider the standard edition which has just the first DVD (with the DTS track and Jeunet's commentary in french only).
    Amélie has a fabulous destiny, and so does the movie. It gets better and better after multiple viewings, I can garantee you.
    Pierre

13. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Japanese version does not have English subtitles.

14. Karen Maraj

Karen Maraj Agent

I'm very confused.
    The French edition isn't an option for me since I don't speak french, and I think I gather from this thread that it doesn't have any english subtitles.
    What is the difference between the US edition and the Canadian ENGLISH edition?

15. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Karen:

Thank you, Pierre, for summing that up.

16. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I'm bringing this thread up because I want to confirm whether the Japanese 2-disc tin set has English subs for the DTS track and extras?

17. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

BUMP--??

18. rutger_s

Japanese subtitles only.