Canadian Adire Dealer listed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Slade, Mar 13, 2002.

1. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

A Canadian Dealer is now listed on the Adire Website, located in Toronto. no web page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Toronto, crap, was supposed to be in Alberta :p)

Oh well, still good news if I end up staying in Canada.

3. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

I have been lurking/reading all the DIY posts for quite a while now. Having a Canadian Adire Dealer just may push me over the edge. I have been thinking about this since I read about Gregg Lowen's Dual Tempest Sonotube.
    I am surpised that there is no web page listed for this company but I may have to give them a call and get Canadian pricing on two Tempests including shipping.
    Chris

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Let us know what they tell you.

5. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

Sweet I wanna see the pricing of those AV8's [​IMG]

6. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I really hope this Canadian dealer has it together. I have had shipping problems with Adire in the past (more than one) and it takes a long time to get them fixed. If this Canadian dealer is on the ball things should be great. If not I think I will start buying drivers from someone else, which will likely cost more money.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well this sucks. Friend just emailed me his price list:

Subwoofers

Shiva 12” - C$235.00

Tempest 15” - C$296.00

Maelstrom 18” - C$531.00

Brahma 12” - C$655.00

PR15 - C$160.00

AVA250 Plate amplifier - C$326.00

HS200 Plate amplifier - C$495.00

HS500 Plate amplifier - C$846.00

HE10.1 Kit (Pair) - C$536.00

That is $622 for a Tempest and AVA250 before tax and shipping. I payed $618 after conversion, boarder fees, taxes and shipping direct from Adire for the same thing.

And given the deals on the Parts Express AVA250 equivalent, you could order a Tempest and 250W PE amp for even less than that.

8. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

those prices are the same as the ones from Adire after the conversion, plus all the fees to get it to your door. This sucks

9. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

Too bad they're so expensive [​IMG]

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Guys,

Something to remember is that Adire requires their dealers to charge at least the same price as what you would pay ordering directly from Adire. They will, however, allow dealers to offer other incentives such as free shipping. I know this because I recently signed up as an Adire dealer and this information was included in the price list they sent me.

The difference between dealer price and consumer price isn't huge unless the dealer can afford to buy 100 drivers at a time. So, in most cases, the dealer isn't making a lot of money on these drivers.

Brian

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Oops, didn't read carefully enough. Appearantly those prices include shipping. And if you live outside of Ontario you only have to pay GST. But that is still more expensive than from the States.

Brian, given I would only have to pay one tax and no border fees, I was hoping he would at least be a little cheaper. I also thought that shipping within Canada itself would be a little cheaper. But appearantly not.

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dustin,

IIRC, aren't some of the Adire prices going up soon? Maybe that has something to do with it. Also, I don't pretend to understand how importing products into Canada works. Sounds pretty screwy to me! But I can see where that causes prices to be substantially higher.

Also, I've run some simulations using the Dayton DVC 12 in the exact same ported alignments that Adire has on their site. The DVC 12 almost seems like a drop in replacement for the most part and may save you even more money. In a sealed enclosure, it appears you can achieve an even lower Qtc in the same sized enclosures as the Adire apps. Or to look at it another way, you can achieve a desired Qtc in a smaller enclosure.

Brian

13. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Damnit, I need to pay closer attention. I just looked at my UPS bill from my order again, and I didn't pay PST. So I figure right now direct from Adire using UPS ground (7day) would run you about $650CDN when all was said and done (dollar being a cent less and the Tempest price up $9.50USD from when I bought). From that guy it would be $665CDN. Alot better than the over $100CDN difference I initially thought. But still $15 is the MDF needed to build a Tempest sonosub.

Ya, the DVC has a lower Vas, same Fs and the same Vd as a Shiva. I'm trying to convince my parents they need one for their system so I can help a friend build one at the same time. I'm thinking DVC12" in a 120L enclosure tuned to 20hz with a full FP4 port kit powered by that 160W@4ohm plate amp (modified to 1dB boost at 25hz) PE has. I'm hopeful I could get two of these completed for $475-$500CDN each. In the US you should be able to build one for less than $300USD.

14. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Just got an email from the guy. Name is Bob Reimer and he appears to be serious about making a go at this business. As such he expressed in his email a willingness to do his best to compete. So if you are considering Adire's products in Canada, get in touch with him as the price list appearently isn't fixed.

15. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I found Bob's name on the member list, but he has zero posts, I hope he is reading this. Even more I hope he starts to post and gets involved with the group. Bob if you read this let's talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

He has to have seen or been told about this thread, as I didn't email him, he emailed me. I too hope he joins in on the discussions. Some of the best advertising you can do is to put yourself out there as one of the crew who enjoys the equipment and wants to help get the right equipment in our hands at a reasonable price.

17. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

ya, let's hope he get's involved like Ron, Tom of SVS, and Dan of Adire. If he makes an effort at providing us with a product such as adire's for an affordable price with good cust. support, then sign me up for some amps and subs!

How much do you guys figure the total cost of a Shiva/AVA250 combo would be for it to be shipped to my door in Kelowna, British Columbia??

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dustin,

I have that PE amp, which came with instructions for modifying the boost, but it has a completely sealed back. I'm really not sure if it's removeable or not.

Anyone know for sure?

Brian

19. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The spec sheet on PE says the rear cover is removable. Says there are 4 screws you take off then the back cover comes off. Then you have to pop a few of the knobs on the front, and remove the front plate, cut a wire tie and then you find the two resistors.

You mentioned this in some other thread and someone said you could.

20. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dustin,

Hell, it sounds like you practically have to disassemble the damn thing!