What's new

Canada's Team of the Century 1972: Canada vs USSR (1 Viewer)

nousername

Supporting Actor
Wow! A new 4-disc set that has all 8 games of the 1972 Hockey Summit Series between Canada and the USSR uncut. Approximately 19 hours long. $34.99 at FutureShop.
I bought the '72 Summit Series on tape for my brothers a few years ago, but I have never, ever watched them. Plus, I was too young in '72 to remember the original broadcasts. I've only seen a few highlights here and there over the years. From what I have read, and from what I've been told by those who were old enough to remember, this was the most exciting and intense hockey series ever played.
Anyone else pick this up? What a great value! I look forward to watching these games. Now, if only they can do the same for the '87 Canada Cup, I'll be even happier.:)

Shaun Lynde

Auditioning
I am definitely picking this title up when I can afford it. Maybe if this title shows interest, somebody might release a higlight set of 87 Canada cup games or at least the 3 game series final of Canada vs USSR. Hockey fans can hope can't they?

nousername

Supporting Actor
I'd be happy with a DVD that had all three final games of the '87 Canada Cup uncut. The Great One and Mario--what more could you ask for? Style, heart and panache--the way hockey should be played! None of this clutch and grab and neutral zone trap garbage (yawn!) But then again, if memory serves me correct, the muckers and grinders actually kept Team Canada in the game in the deciding match...

I'd also like a DVD of the men's Canada-USA 2002 Winter Olympic gold medal game. That was fun to watch!

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Allan & Shaun: I also picked this one up today (my first NON movie DVD) I have not yet had a chance to view any of the Games or interviews. From what I've heard though, they have really tweaked and improved upon the original game tapes. My local Future Shop ordered hardly any copies and consequently sold out in less than a day. I glumly walked out and took a chance at WalMart. They had TONS of them at $38 and change. I asked at Future what their price was. They told me $37 something. All that aside this should prove to be a FANTASTIC set. ALL 8 games in their entirety and loads of interviews. A historic Hockey series the likes of which we'll never see again. The only series which come close to this in sheer excitement and drama are the '87 Canada / Russia series and the recent Olympic Gold won by Canada. O.K. couldn't resist. Watching Period 1, Game 1. Image is very good considering it's from '72. There's a 6 minute loss of audio in Period 1, Game 1, not because of a glitch but because they just couldn't recover that segment from the original game tape. It's amazing to see this again after all these years. I've got goose bumps. Amazing. Petrov just scored. 2 all. Hockey nuts, get this set!

-Mike

BradG

Stunt Coordinator
I had it in my hands at Future Shop yesterday, but I didn't buy it. I also was just a little too young to remember the series, and I didn't know if it was worth it (if I would actually watch it). If Bobby Orr had played that series, I would have bought it for sure.

That's why I would like it if they released the 1976 Canada Cup series as well, as he played in that series (albeit on one leg practically).

I was already purchasing 4 DVD's as it was, so I didn't think I could justify dropping another $34.99 on the set.

Eric Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I may pick this one up even as an American because there is nearly nothing out there for professional level hockey on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks