Canada Wins Hockey Gold

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Overduin, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

I can't help but have mixed emotions on this gold-medal hockey game tomorrow between Canada and the US. I would have liked a Canada-Russia game; perhaps because like most Canadians, I still feel that the greatest hockey series ever was the 1972 series between our two countries. Also, becuase I am sick of Russian whining and feel that they need a serious whupping to send them home whning about something substantive! They need a butt-kicking!
    I also understand that Canada wants revenge for the loss last time on the extremely bad call on the winning goal by another of hockey's great whiners, Brett Hull. So, okay, we WILL remedy that tomorrow [​IMG] but it doesn't have the same feel. The "US" vs. "THEM" just doesn't feel the same as it would against an old cold-war arch-enemy; this is more like two brothers or neighbours competing for bragging rights. In the end, with the Canadian economy shutting tomorrow (except for beer and pizza stores) we will of course be happy to hear our anthem when our players hold aloft the gold! Please have the courtesy to stand. Thank you.
    BTW...keep our flag off your dirty floor! Grrrrrr....[​IMG]

2. Ken Situ

Ken Situ Stunt Coordinator

The Americans will do whatever necessary to win, even that means somehow to get Ms. Stacey Livingstone to referee the game, Ken Lay to supervise it, and Arthur Anderson to audit the results, they will go the distance to do it.

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

4. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

5. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

6. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

7. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Michael, you're still choking on that women's loss?

Did Sweden even play the U.S.? How then can you comment on how they might have fared against them? In fact, they played one team in common (Finland) whom they've both defeated.

And how can the best two teams, by your logic, include one who lost to Belarus?

It's a short tournament. One team will win the gold. Maybe it'll be the best team, maybe it won't. It's not like they're playing a long series to determine the best team. What's clear this year was that men's hockey is now a truly global sport and any one of about 6 countries could have won the gold.

As for Canada being a "far inferior team," well, you just nullified any credibility you might have had if you actually believe that.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Guys,
    I along with the other moderators are getting tired of this junior high school smack talking contest! We will be moderating this thread as well as the other Olympic Hockey thread very closely over the next couple of days. Anybody that crosses the line of proper forum posting etiquette might find their HTF posting privileges suspended. A little ribbing among friends is one thing, being obnoxious and boorish is another matter that is not welcome here.
    Robert Crawford
    HTF Administrator

9. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

Hear! Hear!

10. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

11. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

USA in the gold medal game against anyone is the match-up I wanted. Team Canada is by no means an inferior team. Myself, I would consider a US win an upset.

Bruce

12. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

13. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Eve, I just meant that I would hate to see someone end their season (a knee on knee or something) over this game. They still have a lot of work to do after tomorrow. [​IMG]
    Nothing wrong with a hard hitting, fast skating game. A good scrap would be good too! [​IMG]

14. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

15. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

I think it's going to be a good game either way. I would, of course, want team Canada to bring home the gold though [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, they haven't been as solid throughout the Olympics as the US team has (even though they have been improving). It should be an interesting game!
    Peter

16. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I just hope it doesn't end in a shoot-out. I much prefer the North American tradition of letting the game go on until one team finally scores the winning goal even if this happens the next day! [​IMG]

17. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Amen to that, Francois!

18. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

isn't a little ironic that all the players on both teams have to go back to work in the NHL after the olympics is over?

19. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

So far 2-1 Canada. This has been like an all star game except they are playing for national pride instead of just to put on a show.

Edit: Check that...US just scored to tie it up 2-2 as I hit the send button.

20. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    YAAAAAHHHHH!!!
    5-2!!!!
    WOOHOOOOOOO!!!
    [​IMG]