Canada. Hockey, Good. DVD, awful.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatB, Mar 7, 2002.

1. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

This is slowly driving me crazy. Another release RUINED by Alliance Atlantis. What is wrong with these people? What is wrong with this company. What is wrong with the industry in this country? 'Memento' was lacking, 'Jesus' Son' never even arrived, they dared to release Run Lola Run in 4:3, 'You Can Count on Me' with no commentary. And now 'Chopper' is here with no extras and lousy full-frame presentation. What a bunch of nonsense. I'm tired of this. I know that the majority of people on this forum are in the USA and lucky for them, because these companies and the industry is going to continue to be considered second tier as long as they continue to put out second tier product.

I REALLY wish there was something that could be done. I'm tired of this. I'm tired of fools who want to watch DVD in full screen. I can't understand it. If you can't appreciate the idea of OAR then you should be happy with VHS. And the companies that pander to them, they'll NEVER get another dollar from me.

And tell the french to learn to speak English and stop taking up room on my discs.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Hey, you got Ginger Snaps in its anamorphic widescreen format while we got it in full frame.

3. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Kyle, same goes for Nameless. Maybe its only Artisan horror flicks that get the Widescreen treatment in Canada. Weird.

4. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I gotta agree with PatB, Alliance Atlantis sucks!! Us Canadians have to suffer through a lot of crap from this company when it comes to DVDs:
    1. Red Violin- No DTS or Widescreen! We get a DD 2.0 track and Pan & Scan only.(Thank God I purchased the Universal version over in the States last year.[​IMG] )
    2. Memento- Not as many special features...and the one exclusive one they do include is quite useless IMHO.
    3. This latest put french on both sides of the cover nonsense. It's really pathetic...and UGLY!
    This company just doesn't seem to learn. What really scares me is the fact that LOTR: Fellowship of The Ring is a New Line property, which means that it will be distributed by Alliance over here.[​IMG] Might have to do some border shopping if they don't get their act together by then. [​IMG]

5. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Although I'm not a big Alliance fan. In all fairness the 4:3 release of Run Lola Run was from Seville Pictures. However that studio has now cleaned up it's act and has given Canadian's excellent editions of Lost and Delirious, In the Mood for Love and Thomas in Love over the past 5 months. Their upcoming releases of Kandahar (May) and The Hole (March 19th) also look quite impressive.

Also on the plus side. Alliance has been using keepcases for their New Line releases for the past number of months but yes they have been using dual language covers recently and they look terrible.

Mark

6. Jacques

Jacques Extra

Mark,

How does the Canadian version of Lost and Delirious stack up against the U.S. disc? I can't find any specs on the Canadian edition, for some reason.

7. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

regarding the excellent version of In The Mood For Love, Alliance is blocking Criterion from releasing ~their~ version here (in Canada).

8. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Eric said

9. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I thought Lions Gate released Chopper.

10. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

oops [​IMG] i got bad info then

11. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Oops, sorry. I was thinking of Romper Stomper.

12. Kenneth Vestergaard

Kenneth Vestergaard Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, Criterion does not have any distributor in Canada (hence the reason why Criterion titles are ridiculously expensive in Canada), so how could they buy distribution rights for 4 Criterion titles in Canada?

I ordered ITMFL from a popular Canadian retailer, and I believe it was actually a few days before street date they received their stock.

13. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Yeah, and you can always import the Criterion Salò without fear of it getting seized at customs. Oh, wait. Nevermind. [​IMG]

14. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

I bought "Lost Highway" recently from DVD Boxoffice. Turns out it's Pan&Scam. There was no indication of this on the site.

It's the 100% Canadian release from "Seville".