What's new

Canada gets some good candy and potato chips (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
they have 7-11s in Hong Kong too... from what i remember 15 years ago :p)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

I was in Toronto about 15 years ago when I saw ketchup flavored chips for the first time. I rejoiced at what I had found, having taken YEARS of abuse from friends because I liked to dip plain chips in ketchup ("It's the same concept as french fries," I would argue to no avail). I felt VINDICATED as I proudly walked up to the counter with my discovery.

Unfortunately, they were horrible...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - My brother used to dip potato chips in ketchup and I would always give him the "Eww! Gross!" routine...He'd then come back with the comment (as Don did) that they were the same as dipping fries in ketchup and my response would be: "No, it's like dipping COLD fries in ketchup, which is GROSS!" ;)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
There are 7-11s in Taiwan, too. It's kinda like their Starbucks. There's one intersection I remember where I could go in three different directions and I'd be at a 7-11 just a block later. One time, a friend bought a Smirnoff Ice and got the cashier to open the bottle for him. :D

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

...and mainland China. I bought a cola-flavoured ICEE when I was in Guangzhou (it was 26°C/78°F that one particular afternoon and I wanted something cold that wasn't tea-inspired ;) ).

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I spent three weeks in Toronto earlier this year..

Ketchup flavoured Doritos was the big culinary surprise for me.

In the US, if you have a Cost Plus World Market around you you can find some Canadian candy, etc. Coffee Crisp rules!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i forgot that i have a couple of cans of ketchup blast pringles in the closet.

i do have one of those near me in del.
thnks for the tip.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
It always floored me that our Canadian Mountain Dew had no caffeine in it. Never knew the difference growing up. :)

When they recently started marketing the new "Mountain Dew Energy" my IMMEDIATE reaction was "oh... rebranded American Mountain Dew... 'bout damn time!" ;) :D

Smarties: I have a friend that became an American citizen many years ago. She lives in Portland. Every time she's up here she loads up on Smarties. :D I did NOT know that there was a US candy called Smarties that are the same thing as "Rockets" though.

What *I* want to know is why Schweppes, makers of fine ginger-ale, doesn't sell grape gingerale in Alberta. Every time I go to Saskatchewan I load up on the stuff. Weird. (We have lemon and raspberry gingerale, but not the grape.)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
If you go to Welch's Chocolate Shop in Banff, Alberta, you'll see a lot of English candy you don't normally see in North America. Polo is like Life Savers, for example, although not made from the hard corn syrup stuff - but closer to the Life Saver mints.

Mountain Dew Energy? Hmmm... :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, not only is there the Milky Way vs Mars confusion but also there's the crap, as mentioned above, that it's marketed in US as some sort of Snickers bar which it clearly isn't. I used to like getting the Dark Chocolate (US Style) Mars bars which I guess would now be Snickers with almonds and dark chocolate minus peanuts.

Another one that grew on me were the Cadbury Crunchie that my neighbors always brought back from Ireland. I do know where than can be had in the US though. :D

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

This is news to me as well. When I head up north sometime during the fall, I'll have to pick up a bottle to see if I can tell the difference.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There's so much sugar in Mountain Dew, that the caffeine probably doesn't make much difference if it's there or not.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the world market near me didnt have coffee crisp or any canadian product that i could see.
they did have alot of australian and english candy.

also harribo(sp) all over the place.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Ah well, maybe you can ask if they can get them.

I just stopped in my local World Market (inspired by this thread), they didn't have (Canadian) Smarties like they have in the past but they did have Coffee Crisp and Aero bars. The girl at the counter said they're a big seller.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just ate one of the kit kat chunky w/caramel.
that thing was good.
glad they dont have these here.
i'd be eating them all the time.

saving the coffee crisp to be last.

JamesMH

Stunt Coordinator
The sweets we get in the US aren't very good at all. The UK has the best, Canada has good ones, NZ and Oz are great too.

The US thinks everything must contain peanut buttter, YUCK.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks