What's new

Canada customs (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
They don't seem to have the recevier I want (Sony STR-DE985) in silver in canada.

I want to order it online unless the sony store can order one for me.

Anyway, if I end up getting it on ebay or another online store, how much would be the customs to import it to canada? I know it's $250 canadian less to buy it online, but if it costs me $100 shipping and $150 in custom fees/taxes it may not be worth it.

Does anyonw know the canadian custom charges on $399US receviers?

Thanks

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
If its made in US or Canada then all you should pay is GST/PST if applicable. It would Duty free.

Kevin

Sacha_C

Second Unit
But I don't think the sony receivers are made in canada or USA...

How much would it cost more if it isnt made in canada or USA?

Thanks

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
Sacha:
I have been purchasing from eBay for a while, many from the US. The post office has always charged a $5.00 service charge along with the GST on the CANADIAN value of the item. Of course this was for collectibles, not new electronics, so I can't comment on whether or not there would be a duty charged as well.
Hope this helps some.

Roy

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
you'll pay taxes on the declared amount plus UPS fee's if its shipped that way or $5 if shipped via USPS (regular mail) If you get it from a private seller you can have the seller declare a lower value on it so you won't have to pay as much tax...but you can't insure a package for more then its declared worth so you're gambeling a little if you declare it to low. If you buy it from an online retailer they legally have to declare the accurate value and frequently want to use UPS to ship which you want to avoid if possible since UPS boared crossing fee's can be $60 or more on some parcels.

Interestingly enough one rule of thumb to use is to take the US dollar amount and double it. That doubled figure will be about what you can expect to pay in canadain funds when its all said and done. So for example your receiver is $400 US...budget $800 cdn and you'll be pretty safe.

Now all that said why are you looking at the Sony DE series? You can do better for your money if you're willing to look at other brands or move up to the DB or ES sony lines.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
This will be my first receiver and used in a small room. I know I could get a better one but I think this is a good one for a starter and for my budget.
Finally I may just get the black one, I don't find it as ugly anymore and I could have it today! :)
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks