What's new

CANADA: CRTC and HD... When? (1 Viewer)

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Eh? Urrrm... Beavers and hockey and stuff. Now that we've all bonded as Canadians what do all of you know about Canada's stance on digital conversion? What is the CRTCs "deadline" to broadcast in HD? The States is what, 2006? What is ours? Two, is that realistic? I know there is HD signals available to us on digital cable and such, just wondering when it's scheduled to be the norm and not the exception.
Just posted links re: that topic in the states, plus buying something HD ready in the next month and not sure if I should go 1.33 or 1.78 yet... But that's another seperate question. :)
Peter

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
I just thought I'd add for anyone who reads this and isn't familiar with the CRTC it is "Canadian Radio & Television Commission" or something very close to that. Basically who authorizes and polices radio, tv, cellular, telephone, etc policies and such.

Peter

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Peter,

I'm not absolutely sure but from I heard the CRTC were more than willing to lag the US introduction by a significant number of years. From what I remember, and this is sketchy, I had heard 2011 as a date.

Patrick

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,

Well that's what I remember myself, but from about 4 years ago. Was wondering if anything has changed about that. It will lag behind the US as they're a majpr content provider and if the US is taking longer, then Canada will lage behind them.

Basically wondering if I should just go for a 4:3 progressive set. All I care about is DVDs but worried about my gf and such watching too much TV and burning in bars. Not into the stretch views too much same was as I'm not into PanScan... Original Aspect Ratio. So if it's going to take that long I'll be buying a new set in 5 years anyways. I guess this puts me in a 1.33 decision.

Thanks.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Peter, at this point I would still go for a 16x9 personally. Most sets add grey bars along the sides to prevent burn in when watching 4:3 TV without the stretch modes.

If you go for an ExpressVu setup you can get some HDTV content and it will only go up as the US gets online.

Patrick

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,
Well regardless of the aspect ratio getting something HD ready. But Ive noticed many sets are the same price for a 1.33 vs 1.78. An example would be Sony. They have a 51" and 57" 1.78 sets and 53" and 61" 1.33 sets. Both the 51" and 53" MSRP $3500 and the 57" and 61" MSRP about $4200. If you messure the width of the same priced sets you see a 51" 1.78 gives you the EXACT horizontal viewing room as the 53" 1.33 set. Soooo... What's the motivation in that case for a widescreen? I'd be keeping thr original aspect ratio in a 1.33 set regardless if it was a 1.33, 1.85, etc source. What do you think? Does that make sense? I find most manufactures are the same way.
Thanks,
Peter
P.S. I can't get a dish :frowning: I live in Toronto but in a condo so no exterior dishes aloud. So I can get Rogers Digital (you probably have Shaw).

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Dom,
Thanks for the great feedback! Actually one of the first times I logged on this site I read about Ronald Epstein getting Gregg Loewen to calibrate his TV and how thrilled he was about the results. Actually I had heard the Toshiba 57HX81 was adecent set and eeing that the Home Theater Forum co-owner had one has pretty much solidified my decision to get a one if I go 16:9. Anyways,I should probably ask Michael but what's a ballpark figure on a calibration like that? I'll have to check the cash flow in Sept. Bought a new/first place (the condo) and moving in three weeks. So like any new home tons of money going into it. And yet somehow I'm finding money for a TV I don't have the extra funds for. Hehe... Funny how priorities can be to people like us. ;)
Back to the antenna issue. In Toronto you can pick up WUTV Fox 29 and their PBS channel slightly. Any of the CBS, NBC, ABC I've never seen or heard of anyone getting on antenna, and not in the downtown core so I don't know if that's an option at all :frowning: However I can see the lake and my unit is facing south so maybe with a better antenna. Will try what you suggested, good idea. I hope it works but not going to hold my breathe. Hey if you com the fall pick up the HD signals and get a STB make a post and let us Ontario folk know.
Thanks again for the great feedback.
Peter
P.S. Almost forgot. So you have a 16:9 47" Panny right? You a happy camper? How long you had it? You watch 1.33 in the original aspect ratio or sretch it to 1.78? Any burn problems?

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Dom,

Yeah burn in is a big variable question. Is it burning because of user error or juts by nature. Thanks for your imput.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks