What's new

Can your sub make your shirt flap? (1 Viewer)

Ned

Supporting Actor
One of my friends has a dual Servodrive contrabass setup and it literally makes your shirt flap in movies like Pearl Harbor and TS2. Even though the bass can literally clobber you, it still remains defined with things like bass guitar. Far and away the best sub setup I've heard.

Each unit is about 2x2x3 with 2 15" active drivers with the servo between them and 2 18" PR's. Each unit is fed with about 500-800 watts.

My single SVS 2039 can rumble the wood floor but I never get this kind of air movement. I've heard the B4+ also and although very impressive it didn't do this either.

If your sub setup can do this, give us some info on what you're running and the room size/openings.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
No my sub won't make my shirt flap.. But it does rattle the
gutters :)

The Dual Contrabass are going to be DAMN HARD to beat from
anyone in here... I don't even know if some of the large
IB's can compete... (Okay, Thomas W's 6 Dancing Shiva's
maybe..)

I would imagine 6 Tumults in an IB would flap your shirt..
Nah I take that back... They probably would cause bowel
discontinuity!

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
if i stand in front of my tempest while playing some nice bassy rap or music, i can feel my pants and shirt moving, i wouldn't call it flapping though.

set up,
tempest
9 cuft front firing
2 4" flared ports
PE 250 plate amp
room is about 10X20 with and a 7 foot opening to the kitchen

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
One of my friends claimed his pant leg was flapping when I played the LOTR Sauron explosion at 3 db from reference. I am in a small room however and was using an SBB4 Tempest which has tonnes of mid-bass slam.

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Blueprint 1803 18" driver in a 15 cubic foot sonotube tuned to 18hz. Its powered by a QSC RMX1450 amplifier (1400w). On playing test tones, you can definatly get your pants and shirt to shake a bit. And when you play test tones in the 15 to 18hz range, you can get the mattress on my bed to vibrate pretty hard :D

Jim J

Second Unit
I can get a little pants-leg flutter from 3 meters away from my SVS 2039CS+ on the exploding THX Ball. That's at about 5 below reference\
some peak taming EQ, About 400watts, 1 port plugged

Ned

Supporting Actor
Would this dual setup get me somewhat close to the impact/capability of my friend's dual servodrive setup-

1 tempest per cylinder (perhaps AV15's but not tumults)
20-24" diameter
5-6' tall each
350 watts each
as much porting as needed, 16hz tune?
both placed together, wherever measures best on the screen wall

My new theater room is 13'x21'x81" with concrete floors, 3 small windows and no open doorways.

What kind of SPL levels are we talking, at the seats, from 10-20hz?

Arthur_King

Stunt Coordinator
My question is, what is the price range of this Contrabass. I mean with sufficient $$$ comes better performance. If the contrabass costs say (wildassguess) $2500 US, then what can you get for that kind of price? Well, a whole bunch of shivas... several Tumults, A bunch of DVC's, you get the picture. Now, will you get the kind of bass you get from the contrabass? I cant tell you I dont know the performance of the thing or its extension or whatever. But, for that kind of money, Im sure you could build something damn impressive.

Kripes, at $150 a piece, you could put 10 Tempests into something and STILL have $1000 for building materials.

DIY is about getting bang for buck. You either get more bang for same buck, or same bang for less buck.

As odd as it may sound, I do have a "limit" as to the ammount of bass I need to have. Is it a Single Tempest in a ~200L box? Nah. Is it the 12 Dancing Shivas... I do believe it would be...

For getting satisfaction, $800 US would probably be plenty for me.

Daffy Arthur King

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
My sonosub gets the pant legs moving no problem. Standard demo disc is the depth charge scene in U-571. Everyone says 2 things after the demo: holy $hit it hits you right in the chest during each explosion, and I could feel my pant legs moving. Quite a compliment for a DIY guy.

Sub is a 480L dual tempest with 250 watts per sub. It sits about 6-8' from the listening position. Total cost with amp was $900......by far the best money I've spent on my HT.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
My two Tempests subs will get your clothing moving at reference level...I wouldn't call it flapping but definatly moving:) I've also felt the hair on my head move on occasion:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks