Can you use a regular RCA cable as a subwoofer cable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tan_U, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

Can you, and which one do you hook up the red or white one, I'm trying to hook up one mono subwoofer out into a subwoofer that only has stereo in not mono.

2. RyanM

RyanM Agent

You can certainly hook up a subwoofer to your receiver with either part of a standard "red-white" cable . Naturally, the use of such cable will most likely be a bottleneck in your system. You may also want to pick up this adapter ==> http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=42%2D2435
    Ryan

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Tan, does this subwoofer have an LFE switch?
    If not does it say mono under any of the RCA inputs on the sub? If not I would use a Y adapter and run [1] 75 ohm RCA cable to the Y adapter and plug into both inputs.
    What kind of sub is it? Sometimes when subs aren't marked for mono input,the left side is mono(not always, sometimes)
    Or you could just plug into 1 side or the other I think very generally you will only see a drop of 3dB( give or take 1 or 2 dB)
    But if you don't have the manual and nothing is marked, go with the one 75 ohm RCA cable(Video Cable) and a y adapter, both available at Radio Shack for cheap.
    *EDIT* Ryan beat me to it![Somebody always does [​IMG]]
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
    [Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 02, 2001 at 12:36 AM]

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I say use a 75 ohm RCA video cable because it will usually have a better shield on it, subs can pick up hums with cheap audio cables(not always, but sometimes)
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

5. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

household electrical wire operates at 60 hz, so make sure the rca cable is well shielded or the sub may always play that 60 hz tone

6. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Buy a good quality sub cable. You should be able to get by with only one. Do not buy a cheap video cable. If your sub mfg recommends it buy a splitter and hook up both red and white on the sub end. That's assuming you have a mono sub out on your controller.
    Rhinocables.com
    Diycables.com
    Monster cable (usually comes with a splitter) Had 201 and upgraded to Rhinocables

7. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Check out the Acoustic Research Pro Series Sub Cable. It is about $28 for a 25 foot cable, less for the shorter one. I have it and it is a great cable - sheilded and built well.
    I got mine at www.discounts-n-deals.com - good prices and even better customer service.
    Bryan

8. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Check into the specs of the cable you purchase. They are not all created equal. Try and buy one that uses A Teflon Dielectric and is well shielded. It improves bass tightness and pitch. Less of that bloated bass that you get with common sub cables. Unless you like that boom car sound?