What's new

Can you turn off DRC on the Sony KV-32HV600? (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It can't be turned completely off. In order to do so the set would have to revert to 480i and that's not gonna happen.

The original DRC from maybe 4 or 5 years ago was pretty soft and nasty looking. Starting with 01 models it was vastly improved. About the only thing that will trip it up these days is a really bad cable signal or badly overcompressed satellite picture.

A worse detriment is the excessive VSM in Vivid and Standard mode on Sonys. I think this can be adjusted AND turned completely off in the user menu on the direct-view models. I've got it turned way down or off in most modes via the service menu on my rptv.

I have a 57" Sony widescreen rptv with 2nd generation drc, non adjustable. I've played Dreamcast and PSII on it, connected via S-video, and the pic was quite nice.

The only thing that looks bad on it is some old VHS tapes and the really overcompressed DirecTV ntsc channels like Oxygen and some of the other wierd ones I never watch anyway. Even my analog cable looks decent.

Users who are viewing this thread