What's new

Can you tell me how much the lexicon upgrade is? (1 Viewer)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I was just curious if anybody knew how much it would be to upgrade an original DC-1 to a version 4? I have the chance to get one cheap, so I was just curious about the upgrade cost. Thanks

Brandon

Jeff H

Stunt Coordinator
It all depends on what version the DC1 has on it now. If it doesn't hace THX, it definitely won't be worth it. I have copied a link from SMR Forum which might answer some of the questions. First you need to find out what version you have. See this link for some help. SMR has great people in the Lexicon forum. Good Luck! The lexicon units are unbelievable. http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Lexicon/mc1/qa.html

Eric A

Second Unit
Brandon,

I am in the same boat. I have a DC-1 v2.10 DD and THX and I want to update to v4. I checked my serial number and I have the updated DACs but it does not make much difference because the DC-1 platform will not support 24bit processing. So basically what you have is 24bit dacs acting as 20bit dacs in this platform. The AD converters are also upgraded from 16bit to 20bit so you will have some increased resolution here. The main thing to look for in the serial number is the first 5 digits. If it is L0797 or lower you would have to send it to Lexicon to get the upgrade because they would have to replace a surface mount chip. A dealer probably could not do this and it would cost an extra $75. These numbers represent the manufacture date. Any units manufactured before 07/97 had the old chip. Lexicon told me that you cannot use this as the ultimate litmus test but most units manufactured on or before this date would have the old chip. As for the upgrade cost, you can get a authorized dealer to do the DTS v4 for $500. This includes THX EX as well. You can also opt for v4 THX EX only. This gets you everything but DTS and would cost only $300. If you decide to do DTS later it will still cost $500 though. I hope I answered your questions and anyone on this forum that might have better info please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Thanks for all of the help. I will check the serial numbers later today, and let you know what I find.

Brandon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks