What's new

Can you stack SVS cylinders? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Like could I stack 2 25-31pci's on top of each other? Or does that make any bass cancelation issues? I know you can stack the boxes, but can you properly stack cylinders?

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Can someone enlighten me on why you would want to stack a pair of external cylinders vs having the woofers stacked internally w/ a better sub (PB2+) or vs having the cylinders stereolize the bass by having them at opposite corners of the room?

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

I find stacking cylinder subs an interesting concept after using two biggish box type subs placed close to my main speakers for years.

No doubt SVS could be persuaded to look into a safe connection mechanism that offered a clean looking (and stable) double height column. Offering a small footprint without dominating the room with large boxes. No doubt all cylinder units could then be factory prepared for simple stacking using an SVS kit if desired. Ceiling stabilisation could be part of the kit to avoid accidents.

A corner hung drape (curtain) could hide the evidence of the tall cylinder if necessary without loss of function.

Horizontal "stacking" (cylinders lying down) would allow them to be hidden behind the screen or TV support furniture and front/centre speakers. This would still offer 2/3 surface corner/floor reinforcement for those suffering long term WAF problems.

The number of possible geometries for stacking. By combining the various 2/3 surface (corner/wall/ceiling/floor) reinforcements would no doubt keep things interesting while experimenting for maximum performance in any particular room.

Would having the two ports brought close together at mid room height (at a two wall corner) work wonders in the very deep bass? Compared with having the ports at floor and ceiling height loading the (3 surface) corners? Or would a conventional stacking of one cyclinder on top of the other (as Cecil has done) offer the smoothest frequency response rather like a vertically extended array?

None of the above is meant as a criticism of Cecil's stacking method that was linked to above.

My hope was merely to continue the discussion on stacking. It would seem to offer distinct advantages for the subwoofer future where box subs are simply not desired (or even allowed) in the room. :)

ChrisBee

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Stacking SVSes have been in the back of my head for a very long time. I do remember reading that stacking 2 cylinder subs are possible, and I have a vague impression that Tom V mentioned that an air-gap of about 3" is workable and can even improve THD in some cases.

I'm considering stacking a couple of 16-46PC+ on top of each other. This configuration offers more advantages than even a single PB2+, perhaps even a single PB2-U (although I can't confirm this

For sure, 2 PC+ offers more port area, power and internal volume than a single PB2+. I am not sure if the advantage of the PB2-U still compares well........

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
The timing of this post is interesting for me. I currently have a Paradigm PW-2200 sitting in my front right corner. The PW-2200 is a very good, musical sub, but it doesn't do DVD's with ultra low bass justice.

Tomorrow, 3/8/04, I will take delivery on a SVS PC-Ultra. One of my buddies was over last night listening to some jazz CD's on my Magnepan MG1.6/PW-2200 combo. He made a comment about stacking my new cylinder sub on top of my big box sub. Heck, I think I may give it a try. Maybe I'll tune the Ultra down to the 16Hz. level. But I imagine that the PC-Ultra will furnish me with all the quality bass I require.

I'll post my results if I try the stack thing!!

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Alan,

the PCU is an aswesome sub, After having some variations of the + models, the Ultra is that much better. It does has its own sound to it and its one that I much prefer.

Congrats on your new toy. If you are curious if the parametric equalizer really works here is a link to my bass curves.

PCU Bass curves

You will need excel, I have had the time to convert them.

scott

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Alan:

I can hardly wait to hear your impressions of the Ultra with your Maggies.

Jesse:

I have seen pictures from several members take a pair of their SV Subs and stack them on top of one another. They have all commented on how they loved the way that they sounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks