Can you run 4 surrounds in 5.1 setup?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by CollinMorphew, Mar 30, 2004.

1. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully, I'll ask this in a way that is clear and I'm asking in the right area. I used to run a 7.1 setup but have recently moved and I'm starting to set up my new room.

It is 10 x 19 and I'm looking to have two rows/sections of seats. I can't run a 7/6.1 set up due the back of the room.

What I would like to do is have two L/R surrounds for the two rows of seats. So, I would have the front L/R and center and then 4 surrounds--a L/R for each seating area.

My questions are:

1. Can I do this?

2. If this will work, what is the best way to hook it up?

If it's a set up that's possible, I would assume I would just splice the surround channels with two additional speaker wires.

Also, the surrounds would be JBL S36 and I would power them with an ADCOM GFA 555.

Thanks in advance.

2. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

Connect them in series.

For each side, connect:
    +Rcvr to +Surr1
    -Surr1 to +Surr2
    -Surr2 to -Rcvr

You'll probably need to recalibrate and boost your rcvr output a couple dBs to get the SPL right.

This is how I, and many others, have 2 rear surrounds connected from a 6.1 rcvr.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You can wire them in parallel too, if its a good amp you should have no problem.

4. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input guys. I think I may be a little dense as the advice is not quite clicking. I think the parallel might be the way i was thinking about doing it.

My thoughts were utilizing the pre-outs on my receiver for surrounds. Running those outs to my L/R input on the amp. Then, running the speaker wire like you normally would but splicing in the 2nd set of surrounds off the original speaker wire run.

Would that be o.k.? Would the series be better and, if so, I'm really unclear on how to do that off the amp.

The speakers are 8 ohms so would splicing effectively make them 4 ohms? I don't foresee a problem with the amp mentioned above--it's somewhat of a workhorse.

Thanks again and in advance for any more input.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Parallel hooks up both off the same contacts, essentially wiring normally, and this would create a half-impedance load. Series would run both speakers in a single circuit, doubling the impedance.