What's new

Can you run 2 computers with one monitor/keyboard/mouse? (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Title says it all. Without going into all the gory details (unless someone wants to know) I'd like to know if it's possible to set up a pair of PC's so they use one monitor, keyboard and mouse without unpluging each time I need the other PC. Is there some sort of switcher box that allows this?

TIA

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yep. What your looking for is called a KVM switch (for "keyboard/video/mouse") and you can find them in many configurations. Here are a couple of examples, a USB from D-Link and a PS/2 model from Zonet. These happen to be on CompUSA.com but any store that carries computer components and accessories will have a selection of KVMs.

Regards,

Joe

Diallo B

Screenwriter
or you can use 'remote desktop' which is included in xp. im not sure about vista.

i haven't used it in 4 years, but it works. makes a remote computer a 'window' on your base computer that you can toggle to much like you do your regular windows.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
KVM switch....excellent. I figured there was something out there. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Diallo, if the KVM doesn't do the job I'll try your suggestion.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I've been using an ATEN KVM switch for the past couple of years with 3 computers and it has always worked flawlessly. That brand was highly recommended when I was doing my research on what to buy.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
A no-expense and very smooth way is to get Synergy.

Synergy

Though you need two screens...

However, you use only one keyboard and mouse. The computers talk on the network and you can just seamlessly move the mouse pointer from computer to computer and type on the one keyboard. Very useful if you want to use two computers at once without switching back and forth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks