Can you ruin an SPL meter by screaming into it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McLaughlin, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Not sure what category this question fit into...I was trying to explain to my wife what an SPL meter does, when she said "Let me see it," and then she proceeds to scream right into it!

This is the standard Rat Shack analog model (the meter, not my wife). She maxed out the needle at over 120 dB from about a foot away. It seems to be working just fine now, but this is sensitive equipment and I'm wondering if it's accurate now. Anyone know?

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

120db?! [​IMG] I think your wife needs calibrating more than your home theater. [​IMG]

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Is it possible to trade in the wife with an upgraded version without the spontaneous banshee scream? [​IMG]

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

You better watch out. Sustained or repeated exposure to 120 db screams can permanently damage your hearing, never mind your SPL meter. [​IMG]
    If this is a common thing, you might have your wife's gain set too high, or she needs some acoustic treatment. If all else fails, get earplugs or a new wife. [​IMG]
    KJP

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think the manual says something about extended maxing out of the needle is a no-no...
    but i doubt a momentary "burst of insanity" from your wife could do any damage. [​IMG]

7. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Bob,
    On a more positive note, why not rent here out to whoever's making the next big horror picture. Might go along way toward's financing your next home theater upgrade. [​IMG]
    Jim L

8. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

I hardly ever visit the Hardware areas, but perhaps I should start. This seems to be where all the quick wits are... [​IMG]