Can you remove this DVD security label?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I like buying previewed movies. I've stopped as of late because Blockbuster is selling them in some generic case and never includes inserts.

I found a smaller chain that sells DVD's intact (albeit most in full screen) but they put a security/barcode sticker around the inner hole on the DVD. It only extends 1/2" from the center but does touch the disc art when said art goes all the way to the edge.

So, will goo gone or something work on these? Will Goo Gone harm the disc in some way?

thanks.

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Does the store that sells these discs not have a way to remove the security labels that they use? Seems highly unlikely but they may also be able to contact whoever sold them the security labels to see if they have a way to remove their product.

KyleS

3. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

Use an x-acto knife very carefully to remove the sticker. Once it's off, you'll see the words "void" from the silver residue, which is easily rubbed off.

Most of the pv dvds I've purchased in the past have had the BB code numbers in felt pen, which comes off with nail polish remover.

4. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

you dont want to use goo-gone since it can break down the epoxy of the disc pressing, also remember that with a single sided dvd its just like a dvd the recording media is on the printed side of the disc so be careful with using a knife or other sharp object.

5. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

Patrick, where's this store located? (I live in Catty when I'm not at Pitt and could always use another source of cheap DVDs.)

As for the topic at hand, I've no idea how to remove the security tape from any of my afflicted DVDs and would rather live with it on the disc than risk damaging it.

Evan

6. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

well make sure you take off all the adhesive because i did take it off once and it kept on getting stuck in the player, i thought it was broken til i found out it was the sticky stuff!

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    GooGone should be safe, but i'd be careful with Nail Polish, that stuff is STRONG!

8. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Evan - 48 Hours is where I've been buying used titles. They are ususally $7.95 or 9.95 but they seem to carry more fullscreen titles...

Khoa - Yes, the same thing happened to me. I thought my DVD player was busted because every time I put a disc in, it said "No disc." Later, I discovered my Magnolia disc was stuck inside. I did clean the sticky stuff off...