What's new

Can you record from Scientific Atlanta DVR's to a DVD recorder? (1 Viewer)

FrankCh

Auditioning
Does anyone know whether or not you can copy a show that was recorded on the hard disk of a Scientific Atlanta 8000HD recorder directly to a dvd recorder? By hooking up composite cables out from the Scientific Atlanta to the in of a VCR you can tell it to copy to VCR. Would that work if I had a dvd recorder instead of a VCR? Or would I have to buy a combo VCR/DVD recorder, and copy to tape first, then to dvd? Thanks

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Frank,

I would see no reason why you couldn't connect the composites to the DVD recorder -- the Scientific Atlanta shouldn't care if it's a VCR or DVD recorder connected. A lot of people record off a TIVO straight to a DVD recorder. :)

LeeM

Auditioning
Hi Frank,

Yes, you can absolutely do just that. I have the 8000HD and a Philips DVD recorder. I've transferred dozens of shows from the 8000HD to my dvd recorder via the composite cable connections.

Interestingly, the only issue I've found is trying to transfer HD shows to the dvd recorder. It does work, but only sometimes. It seems to work better when I'm recording to a DVD+RW rather than a DVD+R. I don't know why that is.

Transferred HD shows play in the 4:3 format, but with bars at the top and bottom. They do not turn out anamorphic, if you know what that means. Basically, when you play the disc back you will see a 4:3 image, with the full 16:9 image in the middle of the screen with black bars above and below it to fill out hte 4:3 screen.

Transferring non-HD shows works fine without any complications.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks