What's new

can you please help w hdmi cables? (1 Viewer)

razorbackfan

Auditioning
Real Name
ja heilig
i was watchin psycho on bluray and all sudden parts of the movie seemed very staticy and pixeled compared to how it normal is, i hooked the bluray up to another tv and the same thing, i assumed it was the bluray and bought another player. same thing when i hooked it up. i have had the hdmi cables for about a year, and they were the best ones best buy said they had. i have tried other movies and they appear very pixeled also. could it be the hdmi cables? or is there something else goin on? how long should the cables last?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
how long should the cables last?
My oldest HDMI cable is 4 years old and no sign of wear and tear. If you aren't repeatedly connecting/disconnecting the cable it should last longer than you unless there is oxidation on the connectors.
could it be the hdmi cables?
With your testing you have eliminated the TV and the player as the issue.
hey were the best ones best buy said they had
Which means they are good but very over priced. If you want to try some new cables, go to monoprice.com . Every cable in my system is from there.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Does your TV have more than one HDMI input? If so, try another one. The issue could be the HDMI port iteself, rather than the cable or the TV per se. Have you ever done any kind of adjustment to the video settings, either by eye or with a consumer-level calibration aid like Digital Video Essentials, Avia or the tools available on some Disney films and THX-certified discs? Most HDTVs are badly misadjusted straight out of the box, to make them "pop" on the showroom floor. Usually they have to be adjusted to produce a useful picture. Sometimes a power outage or other problem will reset the video parameters to the defaults, undoing any changes the consumer has made. Recalibrating the set might solve your problem. "Staticy" and "pixelated" are pretty good descriptions of the way even Blu Ray discs can appear on a set in "forch mode" with the settings, especially "sharpness" which adds noise to the signal to make edges stand out artificially, turn up too high. Let us know how you make out. Regards, Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks